Rumor - Closing Accounts

Fifi1212
Contributor
Contributor

There's this rumor going around that Paypal is closing accounts without providing any reason. A lot of people in my community have confirmed this as their accounts were closed and they were not able to withdraw their hard earned money. People are saying they are going to stop using Paypal because of this.

I hope Paypal clears this up. 

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fifi1212 

Paypal closes accounts of users that violate their policies, that can be because they are underage or accepting friends/family payments for sales or any other of the myriad other reasons.

Paypal do not give a reason, they just tell you that you have violated their policies in some way.

However Paypal do not close accounts for no good reason, why would they?

They want you to open and use paypal accounts as by doing to they make money !!!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SchulmanSOB
Contributor
Contributor

Our account was closed in early November 2019. We were told we violated the Acceptable Use Policy. We changed nothing with our associated eBay store; therefore, we question how we violated the policy if nothing had changed for nearly seven years. The worst part of the problem is the arrogance of PayPal. They refuse to share details of how we supposedly violated the policy. Our PayPal account was closed with no advance warning. This resulted in the forced closure of our eBay store. That business was our primary source of income. More information here: https://awsexproducts.com/blogs/libido/a-store-is-born 

In my opinion, Dan Schulman's sole focus is on money and shareholder wealth. He doesn't seem to care about destroying customers along his journey.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SchulmanSOB 

Could it be your items violated this policy?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full?locale.x=en_US

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

(i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SchulmanSOB
Contributor
Contributor

It is certainly possible that we violated that policy. The interesting thing is that our eBay store had been operating for seven years selling the same adult products. PayPal knew we sold adult products because of cases that were opened from time to time over the past seven years. Currently, there are hundreds of eBay sellers selling adult products. All of these sellers use PayPal.

Let's assume for a moment that we did violate the policy you cited. That assumption raises these questions:

1. Why is PayPal not closing the accounts of ALL adult product sellers?

2. Why will PayPal not tell us if we violated that specific policy?

3. Why did PayPal not notify us prior to closing the account that we were violating the policy?

As a private company, PayPal has the right to do business with whomever they want to and vice versa. As a PayPal customer, I have a responsibility to read and understand the policies that I must adhere to. The issue for me is the manner PayPal enforces policies and treats customers. Schulman has the power to destroy businesses with the snap of his finger. Our successful business was closed and our primary source of income vanished with zero advance notice and a refusal to provide details of why. As an entrepreneur for the past 40 years, I find that behavior disgusting. 

Thanks for your response.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SchulmanSOB 

No idea, it was just a suggestion as to why it may have happened.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

FrHorrified
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a second account long ago and put a fair amount on it '00, in name of vsmb  ; never been using it and then came policies. Now account is closing in 30days with no mention balance to return. This experience was high stress and no answer from them about recover balance

Login to Me Too

FrHorrified
Contributor
Contributor

We don't want to say goodbye!

We noticed that you haven't used PayPal lately, and since your security is a top priority, we're planning to close the account you createdWe noticed that you haven't used PayPal lately, and since your security is a top priority, we're planning to close the account you created

Funny message they notice account can't be used after policies blocked 330days+ ago

Login to Me Too

ryulikia
Same just happened to me. No explanation. All I got from the phonecall was an address I can write to in San Jose CA. It is totally unacceptable.
Login to Me Too

imkbcn
Contributor
Contributor
As long as they don't specify the "good reason" I'm honestly lost. I don't care, just give me back my money - or are they allowed to keep my money because PP claims I've violated whatever?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.