Refunding pending issue

Darkwa
Hello I'm wondering if anybody can give me some advice here I purchased a exhaust for my car from a man for £275 on the 9th of April. After the item did not appear I Contacted the seller to ask for a refund, Which he agreed to this was on the 13th. The refund has said pending ever since and I'm not sure what the hold up is? It says the money is a available in my account from today the 20th. But here's nothing in my pay pal or my bank. Is it normal for it to take a week for money to refunded? Or could this mean he hasn't sent it at all? Obviously is Friday today and its still not here so its obviously not going to be till at least next week now. This is my first time using PayPal and its fairly disappointing how a refund can take this long to clear.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Darkwa

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/i-want-a-refund.-how-do-refunds-work-faq3248

A seller can ONLY refund via funds already in their paypal balance OR via their bank account as an echeque which takes 5-7 WORKING days to clear.

The clearance date is an estimate as different banks have different clearance times but hopefully yours should clear sometime today?

The reason it takes a while is this....
When you PAY someone from your bank account it is never instant > Paypal CREDIT them the funds and Paypal take the 5-7 days wait for the funds to transfer to Paypal to pay them back.
Even though the funds may leave your bank account a few hours OR a few days post payment it does not mean Paypal have them yet as it goes through automated clearing which is the SLOWEST transfer method (to reduce costs to Paypal).

BUT when you refund a buyer then paypal don't CREDIT the refund in advance. The buyer takes the wait this time for the funds to transfer from your bank account to Paypal > then they are credited the refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.