Refunded scam/dept collection

Konaexplosive
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I purchased an app for what I believed was £7. My Paypal account was emptied of £119. I realised it was a scam and tried to cancel the app but you had to write to them/no address on the app. I contacted Paypal the next day/they got me a refund. 3 months later I received a letter fro a credit management company asking for £148.99 for the app. If I thought this would get rid of the problem I would probably just pay but I think they will keep coming back for more as it seems the app was not cancelled even though I deleted it when contacting Paypal. I explained all this to the credit company but I am worried this will spiral out of control. How can these scammers get a debt collector on there side. Bonkers.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Konaexplosive 

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Konaexplosive
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks very much for that. You are correct a pre approved payment is active for this app. I thought I was unsubscribed when refunded. The only problem is the website link is in German. I may tell the credit recovery company I will pay if they can get me written confirmation I am unsubscribed.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Konaexplosive 

If you cancel or mark it as inactive in your pre approved payments section then they won't be able to take any more cash.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Konaexplosive
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, Paypal disabled the pre approved payment when I called them originally called them. They can’t physically get any money from me but they will keep going through credit recovery companies because there is no way of cancelling the subscription on there site. There are lots of posts online about not being able to cancel. I think I will let my cousin look into it as he is a web developer. Apparently they say you have to put your wish to end subscription in writing but there are no contact details.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.