Refund from sending money to family or friend

Toni185
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, please help, i have been scammed, seller told me to send money as friend and the product he is selling is not as described. He knows this and wont return my money.. What can i do? I hate this feeling, please help me get my money back..

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kelsey_Moo

Ask your family member or the mate that you sent it to, to refund it if you want it back again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DaveM4964

The seller asked me to use the send money to family and friends option. I still haven't received the items and the charges were put on my paypal credit account. How do I go about getting these charges removed from my paypal credit balance?

Login to Me Too

Adam_Walker
New Community Member
Hello. I am young and have been tricked into this. Anyone able to help on how to contact my bank (Santander)
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Adam_Walker 

Ring your bank or pop in to your local branch BUT if you did not pay via a credit card with paypal then its unlikely you can get a refund.  

And even if you did use a credit card not all card issuers will help you if it was a 'gift' ie friends/family payment and not a goods/services payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lori88fan

a <removed> got me as well as a few other people for at least $160 for an Apple watch!

Login to Me Too

JanayCunningham
Contributor
Contributor

Hi my name is janay <removed> and i sent money to this person and she said she will give me what i asked for but she didnt. How do i get my money back?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JanayCunningham

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.
You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Hannac95
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal told me to report it to ic3.gov and that they work directly with them, but unfortunately once you do that they still offer no options when ic3.gov isn’t responding, as well as no response from seller. The paypal agent wouldn’t allow me to speak with his supervisor either. Makes me sick to my stomach to lose that money with absolutely zero effort on paypals end. Once you have done all the run-around waste of your time request poorly advised by their Customer Disservice agents with no refund still, I would advise anyone in this situation to take them to small claims, as I too am doing. And don’t forget to claim interest on your payment as well as the hardship that came with late fees, penalties,so kindly provided to you by Paypal duping you.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hannac95 

Paypal GIVES you buyer protection, YOU chose to negate that protection by sending someone a 'gift' of money.

Even credit card companies often find against folks that are only sending gifts and not paying for goods.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SpangBab

I also got scammed! Please help me, i don't know what to do, and isn't there any way to refund a family and friends transaction? And I didn't know I was not going to be able to refund my payment, I'm not used to paypal..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.