Refund from sending money to family or friend

Toni185
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, please help, i have been scammed, seller told me to send money as friend and the product he is selling is not as described. He knows this and wont return my money.. What can i do? I hate this feeling, please help me get my money back..

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @Stobart,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

I understand how this can be frustrating. Personal payments are intended for sending a gift, splitting a lunch bill, paying your share of the living expenses, and everyday exchanges of money between friends and family. This payment option should not be used as a method of payment for purchases of items or services. For more information about the Terms and Conditions of this policy, you should review the "Terms of use" section, accessible from the "Legal agreements" link at the bottom of any PayPal page.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

robsteer
Contributor
Contributor

It is a total nightmare when this happens. PayPal can't cover personal payments so it is up to the seller to get that money back to you.

However, if the payment was made through a debit or credit card you could get in touch with the bank/card issuer and have them issue a chargeback on the transaction stating that it was a scam. If it qualifies then the bank will be able to contact paypal and have those funds pulled back.

If not, try getting in touch with Action Fraud or Trading Standards and they might be able to help you out further.

Hope this helps!!

🙂

Login to Me Too

creighmoe22
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is a bit different. I send some money to a friend of mine who I owed money to in Sweden. He has refunded the money because it was still USD. I have never recieved the refunded money. It shows that he has refunded the money.

Login to Me Too

cmontanez0727

Did you every get this resolved? I have the ssme problem It says Refunded to SEND MONEY..... and its not in my account.

Login to Me Too

jewels4u204

why does it say refund completed when the money hasnt gone into my account,, i dont use bank account

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jewels4u204

If you funded the original paypal payment to the seller with a debit or credit card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your bank account or credit card but takes up to a week to process through to the bank and a bit longer for a c.c (paypal say allow 30 days but I have never waited longer than a week for mine).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

A92
Hey, I was wondering did you ever receive the refund?
Login to Me Too

Dr123
Contributor
Contributor
If I sent money with Family or Friends by accident with a debt card is it possible to get a refund through my card services? Did they even get their money back?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dr123

Contact your card issuer and ask them, if they do its normally as a goodwill gesture.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kelsey_Moo
New Community Member

What happens if the money was sent as family/friends from/to overseas? How does that work in terms of getting a refund? x

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.