Refund fees due to Corona Virus Covid-19

JKFTG
Contributor
Contributor

Due to the Corona Virus Covid 19, Paypal should not be charging sellers for refunds. Due to this virus sellers that use PayPal to sell classes are having to refund people their money because the government isn't allowing some of these events to take place. As a result, we are burdened with costly fees and are getting nothing out of it. Companies like Ubereats have waived delivery fees during this time in order to help companies who are struggling. PayPal you should be taking a look at how you could help out small businesses in this regard. You are a worldwide company and this virus is worldwide. Why not step up and help us out? 

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

underwatershop
Contributor
Contributor

absolutely ! - I have called paypal support about this a while ago when we had to cancel a large event - I requested a call back in 48h - nothing of course. And to rub it in we just got the email --> A Message from PayPal’s President and CEO, Dan Schulman --> ie what a great company they are  -- 

This is an unprecedented time in our history. The COVID-19 pandemic is having an impact on the health of our loved ones, the businesses we rely upon, the health of the global economy, and the way we live our daily lives. As we all continue to navigate through these unique and evolving challenges, we want you to know that PayPal is here for you.

The first thing that would come to my mind is that they would announce a full refund of paypal fees for anything that gets refunded via paypal - simply back to the status quo before October 2019. Thay are certainly losing our business the moment a viable alternative comes along (hint to others)

Login to Me Too

k9frend
Contributor
Contributor

they said...they are happy to say they are not CHARGING a fee for the refund transaction... and didnt address the refund of the initial fee we paid to receive the funds 😞

Login to Me Too

geniusboy91
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree. I just had to send out tens of thousands of dollars of refunds for things that were cancelled. It's awful enough they keep the fees on refunds when things are normal. It's more annoying they keep the fees in a time like this when every other company is reducing fees. But it is flat out angering that they do this while mocking me by sending an email about how much they care.

Login to Me Too

JKFTG
Contributor
Contributor
I think they have started refunding those fees. If they aren’t doing it for you call and ask them to and I bet they do
Login to Me Too

Julialicht1968
Contributor
Contributor
I thought they said they were waiving instant fee transfers and mine weren’t .
Login to Me Too

lynslee
Contributor
Contributor

I have already called and waited 2 hours for them to tell me, they CAN'T waive the fees!!!

Login to Me Too

Julialicht1968
Contributor
Contributor
This is horrible what a misleading scam . I haven’t reached any human yet .
Login to Me Too

LSY
Contributor
Contributor

We had to refund a large event and to our horror found that we still had to pay the processing fees.  Paypal notified us on the 16th March 2020 that when payments are refunded the processing fees would not be.  This policy was starting from the 1st March!  Therefore they notified us on the 16th with a policy back dated!  Our customer had just paid the outstanding balance on 26th Feb and then the event was cancelled due to flight restrictions. We have other transactions which are likely to be refunded as lock down continues.

We contacted Paypal via the messaging service, but was told that the fees would not be refunded.  Exceptionally poor timing for Paypal to make this announcement. Just getting it in in time for mass refunds.  This really hits small business hard with no income being generated and  now being refunded, where sellers are being hit with processing fees.  Do they want their small business customers to survive?  It looks like not. 

Wake up Paypal and allow a COVID 19 reason for refund so that processing fees are refunded to sellers at such a difficult time.  We are looking at other ways of taking payments as this is too much.

Login to Me Too

LSY
Contributor
Contributor

@JKFTGHow do you know this?  Can you verify a source for us to see?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.