Receiving money and spending online without linking bank account or credit card

sbwilkinson95

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it is possible to receive and spend money on a paypal account without linking a bank account or credit card if I am spending the money online at a site that accepts paypal. A friend from the Netherlands wants to send me money to buy something in the game we play together online and I was curious if that is possible for me to do in the US without having to link my card or account to my paypal account. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sbwilkinson95 

If using a PayPal balance, you might be asked to add a card as back up to complete payment. Then PayPal will check if you have a balance and also pre-authorize the amount on the card and once the system sees you have enough in PayPal Balance will go with using the balance and release the pre-authorization from the card.  Some of these merchants will also set up billing agreements in your PayPal account to streamline your future checkout experiences so it will be quicker. If you don't want the billing agreement to be active you'll have to cancel it after payment is completed.

It's getting harder to use PayPal without adding a bank account or credit card, you'll be asked for it eventually. Unverified accounts (not linked to a card or bank account) also have limits on sending, receiving and withdrawing. If you happen to be under 18 years of age beware that eventually you'll be asked for id verification and the account can be permanently limited. Have to be over 18 to operate a PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sbwilkinson95

So the website might ask for a card as a backup, but if it doesn't, I can receive the money from my friend and use it to purchase a game service online on their website without linking a card or bank account to my paypal account?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sbwilkinson95 

No, if you already received the money, and you are buying something with a PayPal balance at a website, the checkout system might ask for a card as back up.

For best performance, you're better off verifying your PayPal account by linking a bank or a credit/debit card because you never when the security system will block you and ask you to add a card or bank account at any stage.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.