Receiving Emails for SOmeone Else

whyausername
New Community Member

I have multiple emails accounts for myself - one from Yahoo, back when that was the popular choice, and one in Gmail. 

My Paypal account uses my Yahoo email, because when I set it up, I did not yet have Gmail. 

My Gmail email is my first and middle initial with my last name (this is relevant). 

I got an email from Paypal today regarding the upcoming changes to the legal agreement for PayPal, and my initial reaction was to think nothing of it because I do have an account here, until I realized that email came to my Gmail account, not my Yahoo. So I opened it to check, and it wasn't addressed to me, it was addressed to another person with the same last name as me, but a different first name (same first initial, though). 

I know it isn't something, like, a PayPal spam or something, idk, because a couple of years ago, I was receiving emails for this same woman confirming orders she was making on other sites. I have no idea who this woman is, I've never heard her name until I started getting emails for her, so the only thing I can figure is that she mistyped her email address when buying this, or, since I think PayPal requires you confirm your email, she used to have the Gmail I now have? I don't know. And I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, because this situation isn't one I could find in the Help section. But I am really tired of seeing this woman's name in my email, seeing as it's not her email that she keeps using.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_JonK

Hello @,whyausername

Thanks for reaching out to our Community Forums, welcome! I'm sorry to hear your email address is being used on someone else's account. Our Customer Support is equipped to handle these kind of concerns. I'd recommend reaching out to them over the phone for further assistance.

Best of luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

alexa87
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

is there a way to deal with this without making a phone call that would cost me a fortune? (I don't use the phone much, I don't have a good phone calling plan)

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Merkyweather
New Community Member

I have the same thing happening to me...also been happening for years...I've even emailed the woman directly because I can see her full name and email when I follow the links on the bottom of the PayPal notifications...SO ANNOYING!!  

Did you take the time to call PayPal as suggested and if so any good results?

thanks!

Login to Me Too

peternlewis
New Community Member

Same here and there isn't any way to deal with it since I can't log in and don't want to forcibly reset the password on someone else’s account and take it over.

PayPal needs to have a direct link to say "This is not me" in their emails (in fact, and ability to unsubscribe is a requirement of most anti-spam laws).

Login to Me Too

Doctor13-2021
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal customer service is most definitely not on any level equipped to deal with this. Someone used my email to set up an account in 2017 and I'm STILL trying to get PayPal to shut it down. They still haven't. They seem utterly confused by my problem. They keep telling me I can close the account if I upload a photo ID and credit card statement to prove I have the name, address, and credit card on file....which I don't! I got into the account by asking to reset the password, so they sent an email with a link to the password, and I still can't close it. I can see the person's address in Texas (I live nowhere near Texas) and their Mastercard (don't have a Mastercard). But when I try to close the account, it says I can't because I am unable to verify my identity. So....why'd they let the person set up the account without setting up a verified identity? I'm so mad, and Customer Service only makes it worse. They just keep talking in circles saying "you can close your account as soon as you verify the address on file." Worst customer service ever! I've used PayPal (under a different email account) for years and am now feeling like it's not a secure company at all. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.