Received text message.

Ruth-Bailey
Contributor
Contributor
I got a text this morning, looks official, sender states PayPal. Stating that ' IPayPal: You sent a payment for 150.04 GBP to WebAct. If you didn't authenticate this transaction click here to cancel (with a link) ' I have checked my PayPal and bank accounts to confirm its not real and I didn't click the link, how do I inform PayPal?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ruth-Bailey

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ruth-Bailey

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ruth-Bailey
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, it wasn't an email, it was a SMS message. I've seen that it has happened before in 2016 I think it was. Must be doing the rounds again.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ruth-Bailey

Doesn't really matter if it was a text or an email, the advice is the same....so ....your welcome !

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ruth-Bailey
Contributor
Contributor
I realise that, thank you. But as I stated in the post I did not click the link and I was just wondering how I would go about reporting this to PayPal as I am aware somebody else had the exact same text message, stating the same company this money was apparently for and the exact same amount of money. Thank you all the same.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ruth-Bailey

If you click on the link i gave you then it says how to report it to customer services.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.