Received money I didn't request and trying to determine if I'll get charged fees to return it

CC888
New Community Member

Hi - I got money deposited into my account for $224.00 and then immediately got another request to refund the money for $231.  This is money that I did not ask for and don't know why it was sent to me.  I declined the $231 request as I'm not giving them extra money.  But my question is, it appears I may be charged fees for returning the money.  Is that true?  I can't get a customer service rep on the phone.  Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CC888 

When you receive a payment for goods/service you are charged a fee, however if you have to refund paypal no longer return that fee as part of the refund unfortunately.

Your best bet is to contact the email address that sent the payment (maybe by accident) and ask them if you can 'part refund' as it was their mistake so that they pay the fee? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CC888 

When you receive a payment for goods/service you are charged a fee, however if you have to refund paypal no longer return that fee as part of the refund unfortunately.

Your best bet is to contact the email address that sent the payment (maybe by accident) and ask them if you can 'part refund' as it was their mistake so that they pay the fee? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.