Re: Scam using PayPal customer service telephone

Haleyinthevalle
Contributor
Contributor

AND THIS IS NOT NEW!! Found this lil tidbit today: <removed> Insert the phone number after backslash to see SO many complaints <removed>

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Haleyinthevalle 

@FedUp1234 

This is a community forum so of course scammers will try and scam on it if they can.

This they do everyday of the week. 

They post threads with fake telephone numbers in it for paypal. 

These are often put in a format not normally used to put for a phone number to try and get past the security in place, this is one reason you are not allowed to put telephone numbers on here.

If these threads slip past security then they can come up in a google search as well.

I report these threads for removal everyday but of course they keep reposting them as they get removed, they are often posted with 'helpful' info to appear genuine.

That is why paypal state the ONLY way to get their real number is by clicking help/support at the bottom of every paypal page and NOT via any threads or google.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

owadiaz
New Community Member

I fell prey to the exact same scam. I was super **bleep**.

I got called by an Indian scammer saying he was from PayPal customer services. He asked me for Google Play cards. The issue I was having was that my Cash Card wasn't working on a website I needed to pay on. But it turns out there was nothing wrong with my card in the first place - the website I was on was the actual problem, not my card. Unfortunately, I had already sent him $150 in Google Play before I found that my card was actually functional. This guy tried to tell me that "multiple IP addresses are in your account" and I explained to him that it's because he was in my account - and he was. It turns out, that he was using the phone verification thing to get codes from me over the phone and thus temporarily change my password. He did so twice.

Anyway, we argued about the money for a couple more minutes before he hung up on me. He told me that if I didn't give "Three $100 Google Play cards" to him, he was going to "give my money to charity." I told him I didn't have that much, and he asked me if I had $75, which is what I had left. I was yelling and fuming at him, demanding my money back, before he hung up on me. It was the angriest I had been in a long time.

I ended up taking the issue to PayPal, really PayPal, and they were able to give back just $80. So I got only 55% of my wasted money back. The only reason I sent him these cards in the first place was because he promised to pay it back to my balance. These scammers will say just about anything to get money out of people.

If this human piece of **bleep** was in front of me, I'd kill him.

MOTS: Never, under any circumstances, send gift cards to anyone you don't know.

Login to Me Too

Lorililsorty
New Community Member
I was scammed while trying 2 reach a live person at PayPal. I was directed to contact PayPal from my card holder who is now handling my dispute over $6,500 I got scammed an eBay with PayPal. I got scammed for two more thousand dollars by person that represented themselves as a PayPal security and investigations person and would help me with my dispute. I am 62 I have never used a gift card in my life and I have no idea about these scams. I think it's time that PayPal eBay and all the other places like this start answering their phones. Because they aren't answering the phone the scammers are
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.