Question regarding possible scam

Squeaky781
Contributor
Contributor

Since January 1, 2019 I've had 3 different Paypal users tell me they accidentally deposited $ into my Paypal account and then they ask me for a refund.   They've all sent me different amounts of money and then they send me an email asking me to refund it.   There's no links to anything in the email and this isn't about Ebay.    The first time it happened I thought it was an honest mistake so I went through the hassle of contacting Paypal by phone and asking them what to do.   They refunded the money back to the user (less their cost).    Since then I've had two people other people do the same.    

I've Googled this but couldn't find anything on this type of scam.  I'm not sure it is a scam but it's sure odd that 3 different people would all do the same thing within a 6 week period.  This has never happened before and I've had a Paypal account for over 15 years.    I've changed my Paypal password to be safe.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Squeaky781 

I think folks are in too much of a hurry these days and type in an email address and make a typo and the funds go to your by mistake.

Its a pain as you lose the 20p part of the fee each time UNLESS it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.