Question on SMS Paypal Security

billybigbrains
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

For about two years I have consistently received Paypal 2FA Security Codes by SMS from <removed>.

Today I received a code from <removed>. The code worked as usual, and I was able to login to Paypal. There is no sign of fraudulent activity on my account.

Is there a pool of SMS short numbers that Paypal Security SMS can come from? If so, it would be handy to know what numbers are valid.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Vince_1
New Community Member

The sms code <removed> did this turn out to be a scam or was the code a legitimate one as I have had the same 

thanks

Login to Me Too

Sar4
New Community Member
Could someone answer this question please?
Login to Me Too

Ajs123
New Community Member

Somebody tried to trick me into given them the code but what was unusual is it came from <removed> where as normally it comes from <removed>. Luckily I did not provide the code to the fraudster and logged in to check for suspicious activity this seems fine at the moment but I’m quite worried in case they have somehow gained access just by me receiving the text

Login to Me Too

Strivo
New Community Member
Same thing happened to me, pretty sure it’s a scam as 2 hours after the ‘code’ is sent another message follows saying your PayPal account has been used. If it wasn’t you then click the link etc. I have the PayPal app so logged in there instead of clicking the link and can see the account hasn’t been used.
Login to Me Too

Marty_JG
New Community Member

I just had 67975 text me with

"PayPal fraud alert: are you trying to pay $1,000,000.00 USD? If yes, reply 1. If no, reply 2. Text & data rates apply."

I haven't responded (obviously) but no apparent waiting transaction in my PayPal account. I have emailed PayPal's spoof account, no response as of yet.

Login to Me Too

BethB3
Contributor
Contributor

I've received two of these text messages in three days from <remove>. PayPal fraud alert: Are you trying to pay £65.99 GBP? If yes, reply 1. If no, reply 2. Text & data rates apply.

Login to Me Too

Fi51967
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same from <removed>for £65.99, contacted PayPal who advised not the text number they used and to delete it - I didn’t reply to the text. Today an un authorised £65.99 came out my account !!! Had to cancel my debit card and change my password 😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.