Purchasing amazon gift card

Greg01981
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I sold an item for €2600. It was my 1st time selling. I have got an email from PayPal saying as I am not a premium user I need to request an additional €260 from the buyer. I did this. I then got an email saying I need to purchase an amazon gift card for €260 to send It back to Buyer and PayPal will refund me €2860. Does this sound legitimate?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Greg01981 

I posted within 2 hours of your original post telling you it was a scam.

Paypal never tell you to send anything until the funds are showing in your paypal balance.

If you received an 'invoice' then buyers don't send invoices sellers do, scammer just sends an invoice made to look like a payment receipt when its not.

Only sellers send invoices for buyers to PAY.

Sadly nothing you can do as the paypal emails were fake and no payment was processed by paypal.

I wish you had come here first, i post on this scam at least 6 times a day for the last 10 years. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Greg01981 

SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Paypal would never expect a seller to buy or send another companies gift cards for any reason to do with their account.

You will never see the money in your paypal account balance so ignore the scammer.

You really need to read up on seller protection and then risk assess your transactions ESPECIALLY high priced ones which attract scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Greg01981
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.I have just realised I have been scammed. I received emails from paypal saying the money had been transferred and that it would be released upon proof of tracking number. I then did this and posted the item. I checked my paypal and saw pending invoice so I thought this was just waiting to clear. I then got suspicious when the talk of the vouchers came up. Do i have any protection here?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Greg01981 

I posted within 2 hours of your original post telling you it was a scam.

Paypal never tell you to send anything until the funds are showing in your paypal balance.

If you received an 'invoice' then buyers don't send invoices sellers do, scammer just sends an invoice made to look like a payment receipt when its not.

Only sellers send invoices for buyers to PAY.

Sadly nothing you can do as the paypal emails were fake and no payment was processed by paypal.

I wish you had come here first, i post on this scam at least 6 times a day for the last 10 years. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Greg01981
Contributor
Contributor

Ya I have been very naive. Everything happened so quickly and I didn't take the time to do some research.  I have learned an expensive lesson. Thanks for your help

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.