Purchase Gift Cards on behalf of customer

swapps
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

Is it against terms to purchase Gift Card on behalf of people for business purpose. The card is sent as a gift to the target customer.

Thanks for consideration.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @swapps,

Please take a look at the Acceptable Use Policy for the country that you're in. There will be a list of activities that require pre-approval. This may potentially fall under that heading, or it may be outright prohibited. I would suggest that you follow the directions to reach out to the appropriate team to inquire. I would also recommend against engaging in the activity until and unless you receive the go-ahead from the experts in that team.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @swapps,

Thank you for your post! The act of buying a gift card as a gift for a customer (such as a thank you gift for a loyal customer) is not itself against the terms. If there are any other elements of your business model that are not compliant with the terms, that would be where the problem would lie. Are you buying a gift card for a customer in exchange for a payment? That would probably be considered currency exchange, which is not permitted. If there are any other activities described in the Acceptable Use Policy, please be aware of whether they are prohibited or require pre-approval. You can find the Acceptable Use Policy by clicking Legal at the bottom of the PayPal website.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

swapps
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Olivia,

Thank you for the inputs. As you said 'would', allow me to provide more information about the use case scenario. We provide a mobile money platform for unbanked people in our country which already gives access to various digital services like online advertising. Here, we are looking to provide digital gift cards as Netflix Gift Card, in exchange of payment from the end customer.

Is there a way PayPal allows that?
Thanks for consideration.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @swapps,

Please take a look at the Acceptable Use Policy for the country that you're in. There will be a list of activities that require pre-approval. This may potentially fall under that heading, or it may be outright prohibited. I would suggest that you follow the directions to reach out to the appropriate team to inquire. I would also recommend against engaging in the activity until and unless you receive the go-ahead from the experts in that team.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

swapps
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Olivia, 

Rest assure, we can't engage in anything unless we have PayPal confirmation it is allowed. We are emailing compliance team right away.
Thank you again.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.