Problem with a UK seller who will only ship to UK address, but blocks bidding

kaydeejay99
Contributor
Contributor

I live in the USA but regularly win Ebay UK items that I pay for with a UK bank debit card and ship to a UK address (family there).

Ran into a buyer today who will not ship to the UK, but will not allow me to bid as he believes he would lose "seller protection" if he ships to other than my confirmed PayPal account address, which he says is only my US one.

The UK address is available within PayPal in the drop-down box when I complete the purchase.

I have done this dozens of times previously.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?

(Family at the UK address do not do Ebay so I can't simply ask them to bid for me).

Thanks

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kaydeejay99
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, that should have read "Will not ship to the US"

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kaydeejay99

Sorry i am confused, how did you add a UK address to a U.S Paypal account as that is not allowed?

Can I change my PayPal address to another country?

No. The laws applicable to PayPal accounts differ by country, so you can't change your address to a country that is different from the country you used when you opened your account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kaydeejay99
Contributor
Contributor

OK, going back a step. The UK address is in a drop-down box when I proceed to complete the purchase.

Thinking about it, that is probably an Ebay entry, but I thought Ebay and PayPal shared that info.

I have completed MANY purchases this way and never had a seller balk before.

Paypal has confirmed that his "Seller protection" is not affected, (that was his reason) so he has no real reason to block the transaction.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kaydeejay99

Ebay and Paypal are 2 completely different companies.

Not sure how Paypal can 'confirm' his seller protection is not affected when for the last 10 years on this forum they state that 'a seller can only send an item to the paypal registered address of the buyer' and as you can't add an international address to a paypal account then there seller protection would be affected if they sent to an ebay address instead.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kaydeejay99
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting! here, without comment here is my question to PayPal...............................

"I am resident in the USA but frequently buy items on Ebay UK and pay via a bank card on PayPal UK. My UK shipping address (family) is shown on my Ebay account and appears in a drop down box when I complete my purchase. I have just encountered a seller (xxxxxxxxxxxxx) who refuses to accept my bid as he believes he would not have seller protection as he considers my UK address not to be my registered PayPal address. I have completed dozens of transactions this way. Surely there is a way around this? Thanks for your consideration."

and here is their response......................

"Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support. My name is Brianne and I am happy to assist you. The seller's protection would not be void simply by someones location. The seller may not understand the protection he has, or simply does not want to do international transactions. I would advise the seller to contact us for more information."

The seller has declined to contact PayPal for clarification.

This issue is dead!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
Think they misunderstood your email. They are saying that location would not render the seller paypal ineligable which is perfectly correct. However if that 'location' was not your 'Paypal registered address' then it would.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.