Possible scam from (removed by moderator)

Tudor3
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i want to sell an engine to someone from another country. He payed me in advance in paypal. He sent the money but no money in my pocket. Emails confirmatilns are from upaypal.org. and if i want the order to be complete must pay 500 euro in bitcoin. That is a scam?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tudor3 

Yes! Its a scam. PayPal does not hide your payments and asking you to pay an exorbitant amount of money to release it or show it in your account. If someone REALLY paid, you should see a record of payment in your PayPal account fairly instantly with also a PayPal email confirmation, even if PayPal puts a hold on the payment, you will still see a record of payment in your PayPal account.

And of course, "upaypal.org" is not PayPal.

Congrats for having your scam radar on high alert.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tudor3 

Yes! Its a scam. PayPal does not hide your payments and asking you to pay an exorbitant amount of money to release it or show it in your account. If someone REALLY paid, you should see a record of payment in your PayPal account fairly instantly with also a PayPal email confirmation, even if PayPal puts a hold on the payment, you will still see a record of payment in your PayPal account.

And of course, "upaypal.org" is not PayPal.

Congrats for having your scam radar on high alert.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Simonaradu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, this almost happened to me today. I am from Romania and selling an object on a romanian website. I was contacted by someone pretending to want to buy the product, who was kind of rushed. Talked a bit, she said she was from Croatia and asked me for my email in order to make a payment. Being naive i gave her the email address and she told me she had made the payment. I didn't receive anything in the app, but received an email from service @ upaypal. org telling me i have received a payment from her, but the payment is being held because first i need to pay the shipping provider nnr logistics via a bitcoin transfer. Also received an email from nnr stating this. In the email from supposedly paypal there were 2 spelling mistakes and this made me suspicious. I looked online and found this post which perfectly described the situation i was in. I fw the email to spoof in order to be verified and deleted them. So basically thank you for saving me from being a scam victim!

Login to Me Too

mangusta
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, same thig here. Hans wanted to buy something, he said that he sent me the money, but nothing apeared on paypal and asked me to send him 500 eur of bitcoin :)))) Yeah right. 

Login to Me Too

Koenig1
Contributor
Contributor

That guys name is not Shuster <removed>?

Login to Me Too

hulubei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, not this name but still a German name used for the SCAM he tried to involve me.

Login to Me Too

Alexadri
Contributor
Contributor

Yessssss. <removed> 

Login to Me Too

faneturbo

Somebody named <removed> mailed me first and said he wanted to buy my two winches. He "sent" me the money, but there weren't any money in my paypal account and I needed to send 685 euro to the shipping company so that I get all the money (what's the logic?). I even wasted a few hours of my life for this... He also said that he can't cancel the payment and the payment is on hold (PayPal doesn't work like that). The phone number was also from the USA and "he is a construction worker from Germany that works in the USA for 8 years" and really needed my winches. I sent him the address and phone number and I got a mail from the "shipping company", NNR Logistics. The site from the mail didn't even work lol. And I got a mail from "PayPal", but the e-mail address was <removed>. Bad scammer.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi @faneturbo,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website. Do not use the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. Please forward any suspicious emails or websites to spoof@paypal.com. If we know the email, you will receive an email to confirm whether PayPal sent it. If it’s not known to us we will immediately investigate and extract all malicious content.

-Intars

Login to Me Too

MACK43

exactly the same situation I am now in the sale of a boat but I stopped to send the data required for the transfer of money, namely, full name, paypal e-mail address, contact address, the amount requested by me, phone number.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.