Possible new Gumtree ad scam?

Gemz2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Im selling an Electric guitar on Gumtree, (and ebay too) I have had a message from a 'buyer', that I'm pretty sure is a scam. Firstly, it says, Is this still for sale? then :

The price is okay by me. I want you to get back to me with the pick up address for courier pick up.

I replied with 'I will arrange delivery once payment has cleared. (they want to use PayPal)

Then came: 

What is your post code and PayPal email? 

I replied.

they then contact me on the email address associated with PP .

They ask me to take the ad down, to which i reply, once payment has cleared, I will remove ad, but not sell it to anyone else, in the meantime.

Then their reply:

Okay, I have forwarded the address to the moving agent so as to estimate the pick up and delivery cost for me. I will notify you once i send the payment. What is the name attached to the PayPal account? Mine is Camilla Brown.

I send my name.

It's just too dodgy.. all this time, there is no mention of the item... 

I really need to sell this, as I am drowning in debt, but I really can't face being scammed.. I always check my PayPal activity before sending anything out, so I should be ok? as long as it isnt pending.. or is it just a no no to use Paypal? I have used it before on Gumtree, and its all gone smoothly, however, the communication was much less suspect, and the guitar was mentioned a lot in that.

Thanks for any help.

Gem

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Baildonjo
Hi I have just had the exact same for something that I am selling on Gumtree. Exact wording as you had. I will be reporting to Action Fraud

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gemz2 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gemz2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Thanks, yes all that has happened, and I have contacted spoof@paypal. 

I have replied, staying polite, and will delete, and block any further communication. 

Many thanks for the confirmation. These folk are desperate, and sad individuals.. or a team.. Just before Christmas, I'll try not to let it put me off Gumtree...

Regards.

Login to Me Too

Hayley47
Contributor
Contributor
Hi you guys you have helped me a lot I am still getting emails from PayPal saying that I have been sent money but nothing in my PayPal I recently had a post up About the gumtree scam but why are they still contacting me please can anyone help this is getting to much now
Login to Me Too

Daantje
Contributor
Contributor
I just had the same name contact me with the exact same words that yours did. I reported it too
Login to Me Too
Solved

Baildonjo
Hi I have just had the exact same for something that I am selling on Gumtree. Exact wording as you had. I will be reporting to Action Fraud
Login to Me Too

Gemz2
Contributor
Contributor
Thank for replies, I have accepted one, as it may first time here, I assumed that's what you do when prompted.. I have had no further contact with the 'buyer' since I sent a rejection email. Shame, I was looking forward to selling it.... Cheers all. Gem
Login to Me Too

Hayley47
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I wondered if someone could help me I’m trying to sell an item on gumtree anyway cut a long story short I had a message asking what would be the lowest I would take so I told them then I was asked for address for courier collection and PayPal email which I sent over I was then sent a PayPal notice to say money had been paid but I had to buy a voucher in order to have this collected and taken to buyer I’m new to all this and to be honest don’t want to use PayPal anymore because this has scared me the emails were sent to my junk also I have tried contacting PayPal because I didn’t understand it all and I had already pressed confirm on payment page I asked for money to be sent back to buyer as I didn’t like the idea that I had to pay for courier service buyer still contacts me on gumtree and I really don’t know what to do I hope someone could help me
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hayley47 

Read my post five up from yours.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hayley47
Contributor
Contributor
Hi thank you I did try and report it to the spoof PayPal website but recieved an email back saying they can not see anything suspicious on my account but I didn’t send over the emails for them to look at I haven’t heard anything back which is good as felt very anxious about it this is the first time this has happened and made me very unwell last night thinking about it should I just delete everything that are in emails and also add on gumtree
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.