Possible Scam?

LH30
New Community Member

Hi everyone,

I just called a PayPal customer service # I found online because I needed to cancel a transaction I had done in error. The woman said that it probably wouldn't be possible, but we could try if I connected to her secure server. She had me download the app Teamviewer Quick support and tried to remote into my iPhone. She said the broadcast wouldn't work as they found out there was a technical glitch in my PayPal account and they needed to try another app. When that didn't work, she told me to go to a PayPal store and get an access code. I should have known better I know. The number was[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] Anyone familiar with this?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Jleare7
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think that PayPal will ever ask you to download an app or provide your password. When you receive an email, text or call asking for something, make sure you check with the legitimate website, in this case PayPal. Phishing attempts and social engineering will always make it appear that a threat actor is legitimate. Easy ways to tell if something is fake are typos, weird email addresses, asking for your account information, or downloading files. 

Login to Me Too

targa1013
New Community Member

I had a similar experience. The paypal support number  (209) area codeI got asked me to download  the Teamviewer quick support, I got suspicious when they asked me to send money to some never-heard recipient and they gave me these bs's about a new procedure since allegedly Paypal just had a change in the past week in their procedures when sending money. I just hanged up and deleted the apps and that's that.

Login to Me Too

LisJen
New Community Member

I guess someone working at pay pal has set up some scams. I fell for the scam. I can not even find out who to email to report this. I am trying to report the fraud on my pay pal. This is what happen;

Transactions; Feb. 23rd between the hours of noon and 2;30pm
It was close to noon and I went on my pay pal account. I tried to get on my pay pal account and  I saw an error message of some sort telling me that there was suspicious activity on my account and prompted me to call a customer service phone number. I called the number. The guy on the phone claimed to be a pay pal customer service rep. He asked me to download Team viewer/quick support onto my Apple IPAD. Then he began to share the screen with me. He told me this was customer support. He asked me to log on to my pay pal account and I did. We were on pay pal and he was telling me that someone in Oregan and Texas was trying to use my pay pal account and I needed to enter some "dummy transactions". He claimed that if I enter these "dummy transactions" they would not really go through. He claimed the purpose of this was to detect fraudulent activity on my account and then block all activity on my account for one week while he does an investigation. I put in a few transactions of $300 dollars. He immediately refunds them (all except for one). I lost 300. He says "see nothing to worry about these transactions are not going to deduct money from your bank account". 
I spent 2 hours on the phone with these people all the while they are telling me someone is trying to use my pay pal account in another state. 

Then he tells me to do login to my cash app and do the same thing. He said "Pay pal and cash app." are in the same company and I can handle this for you". I believed him because I am new to cash app. and I thought he was telling the truth. He says "go to add money put in security code  992.87". I was on the phone with him. I was also on the internet with him on team viewer sharing screen. He says "team viewer has disconnected. reconnect team viewer and try this again it did not work the first time". I reconnect to team viewer and he says "Go to add money and put in security code 978". I did this again. He says "Mam, your internet must be having complications because team viewer has disconnected again and we need to do this again". Once again I reconnect to team viewer and then he says "okay now on Cash app. go to add money and put in security code  986." He asks me to add more cash and my bank debit card locked my card. I got a text on my phone from my bank telling me it was locked for my safety because suspicious activity. The guy on the phone asks me to text my bank and tell them to let me use my card. I was not able to do this on my phone. So finally, the guy on the phone says " go on your cash app. and close my cash app. account for your safety. Unfortunately now the process has been interrupted and I can't continue to lock your account. I will go over my paper work and we can discuss this later". Just then my phone powered off and I got disconnected. Right away I looked on my bank account and I saw the three transactions ($992.87, $978, $986). I do not know where the money went or how the guy took the money off my account. I have lost all of this money and I am devasted. The people are scammers and somehow hacked my pay pal account. The fake pay pal customer service number I called was[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] I have notified the FBI also. I want these guys found. Please try to find out where the money went. My email tells me that these cash app. transactions went to some place called Fixas. I have no clue what Fixas is and I did not authorize this company to take the money off my cash app. Some how they did and I don't even know how they took the money off. Please inform me of this.
I went back on cash app. and I tried to reopen my account and I opened another cash app. I am not sure if it is the same account or a new one.  I tried to look up the history of these transactions and I could not even find any history of this. I am wondering if these scammers deleted everything somehow by hacking the system. I lost 3000 because of these scammers. I think it may be an inside job done by someone working for pay pal. How else could they have put this fake customer service number on my account??

Login to Me Too

Gcbsgdwr
New Community Member
I had a similar issue today something wasn't right they asked for my banking information from my bank that was not connected to my PayPal account and said that there was a transaction that they wanted to refund back to my bank account. I knew it was a problem so I hung up with them.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.