Possible Scam?

csav
New Community Member

I received an email from "PayPal" with the below message:

In order to safeguard your information we have temporarily locked your account. One or more payments have been authorized from an unknown IP address. To verify ownership and resume using our services login bellow and follow the instructions:

<removed>

We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause. This is an automated message.

Sincerely yours, PayPal Support

Is this a scam? I filled out the information to "unlock" my profile. Should I be worried?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@csav

Yes  Smiley Surprised

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @csav,

Thank you for your post. I had to remove the link for the safety of the community. The link was made to appear to be at the PayPal domain, but when you hover your mouse over the URL, it shows in the preview that it goes to a different website. That is one of several indicators that the email you received is a spoof email. You can learn more tips for identifying fake emails by visiting the site I just linked. There are also steps for what to do if you have provided any information to a phishing website.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.