Possible Scam.

Trabjorn
New Community Member

I was selling a MacBook Pro 13.3" on eBay, and was contacted by a buyer through eBay. I texted the potential buyer, and he offered to pay $1,130 USD plus the $125.54 USD shipping fee. Here is the "confirmation email" I received. I am 99% sure this is a scam, since I've seen a lot of other topics like it.

Transaction ID: (Omitted for personal security-Transaction ID)| Transaction Time: 04/11/2018 01:49 EDT
You just received a payment from your buyer - Ship now

Dear (omitted-my real name),

You've received a payment of $1255.44 USD from
(omitted- eBay username) ((omitted- email)) for your recent eBay sale.

Estimated funds availabilityWhile you establish a successful eBay sales history, you may not have access to your money for up to 3 days. You may get it sooner, but it may take longer if your buyer reports a problem with the sale.

Help get your money faster
  • Print labels and send your tracking information
  • Manually send your tracking information to "verification department email" for eBay and PayPal confirmation if you ship domestically directly through USPS, UPS, or FedEx

Buyer
(omitted-NAME OF BUYER)
(omitted-EMAIL OF BUYER)

Shipping address - Confirmed
(omitted-NAME OF BUYER)
(omitted- ADRESS OF BUYER)

Note to seller
The buyer hasn't sent a note

Seller Protection
Eligible

DescriptionPurchase DateUnit priceQtyAmount
Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" 256GB Laptop. Barely Used condition, comes with package. #323201840142
Apr 11, 2018$1130.00 USD1$1130.00USD
Subtotal$1130.00USD
Shipping and handling$125.44USD
Insurance - not offered----
Tax--
Total$1255.44USD
Payment$1255.44USD
Payment sent to (OMITTED- MY EMAIL)

Sincerely, 
PayPal

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Well, if the buyer did not make the purchase via eBay (clicking Buy it Now, Best Offer or winning an auction) and you get that kind of email then yes, it is a scam attempt. If the buyer did commit to buy it via eBay then you can check eBay and PayPal, if there's no mention about payment and "OK to ship" etc. then no payment has been received. Still, the item you are selling is very attractive to scammers, even if you do get payment and send the laptop, things might not end well with PayPal. You basically give 6 months of warranty for that laptop when you sell it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.