Please please help! Can't issue refund because account was negative

antjen1212
Contributor
Contributor

I have a negative balance at the moment, which I fully intend to fix as soon as I get paid in a couple weeks..... But I received a payment while it was negative, and the person requested a refund and I agreed to it, and tried to issue the refund ASAP. However, the person still has not received their refund and it still says "Pending" ... after 3-4 days... My bank account which is obviously connected to my PayPal account is also negative at the moment because I got scammed and haven't had the money to fix it since losing my job... which screws me entirely. Anyway, I got another job Thank God, but don't get paid for a couple more weeks. I can not expect the customer to wait 2 more weeks for a refund... So I guess what I am asking is... Will they get their refund from the money they sent me since I cancelled the transaction right away and issued the refund? Or will they NOT get it because my account was and still is negative? It's a very confusing, disappointing, disheartening situation... Any help at all would be great... Please? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@antjen1212

Refunds are funded from cleared funds in your paypal balance OR from a bank account.

IF you had cleared funds IN your paypal balance at the time of the refund then it would go through.

If you had a negative balance at the time of the refund then it would not go through.

Any refunds funded by an empty bank account would equally fail.

You would need to clear that negative balance asap, in the meantime your buyer may file a dispute to get their money back and if they do and paypal have to reimburse them then your account will go deeper into negative. HOWEVER disputes tend to last at least 10-14 days to you may be able to clear the neg balance and refund your buyer before the dispute closes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

AF4Kcrystals
New Community Member

You have reached an impasse. You need to borrow some money on a credit card or

perhaps from a friend or relative  to fix this. What is Paypal supposed to do here?

What are you asking for exactly?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@antjen1212

Refunds are funded from cleared funds in your paypal balance OR from a bank account.

IF you had cleared funds IN your paypal balance at the time of the refund then it would go through.

If you had a negative balance at the time of the refund then it would not go through.

Any refunds funded by an empty bank account would equally fail.

You would need to clear that negative balance asap, in the meantime your buyer may file a dispute to get their money back and if they do and paypal have to reimburse them then your account will go deeper into negative. HOWEVER disputes tend to last at least 10-14 days to you may be able to clear the neg balance and refund your buyer before the dispute closes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

antjen1212
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the advice... I very much appreciate it.

Login to Me Too

antjen1212
Contributor
Contributor

I was just asking for advice, not an attitude... But thanks. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.