Please let me know if this is a scam reply for payment for my item

eric_0928
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount of  $1,380.00USD from xx account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees. The transport company requested for full payment from us because many people don't pay the exact amount the buyer included in the payment after their account has been credited. PayPal in cooperation with The FBI and The IFCC invented this measure to ensure the safety of this transaction. In order to complete this transaction and get the funds released to your account, we implore you to go to any Money Gram or Ria outlet with cash and just pick a Money Gram or Ria Transfer send money form, fill and send the$480.00 USD that was included in the Payment to the name and address given to you below, online Money Gram or Ria Transfer to certain destinations may be subject to further delay or additional restrictions so we advise you to go to any Money Gram or Ria Transfer outlet and get this done. Once you

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @eric_0928,

Thank you for your post, and I'm glad that you decided to look more deeply into this. The email that you received is not a legitimate email. PayPal does not ask you to pay through a different payment service for any type of fees. This is called an overpayment scam. You can learn more about it at that link.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

eric_0928
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I posted my ad yesterday and got two different types of scam replies, the overpayment one that I mentioned earlier and one about cashiers checks.  Is there any place to report these folks?  I suspect you deal with this every day.

Eric

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eric_0928 

This scam has been ongoing for years but its pointless reporting them as none of the scam is done using paypals site.

Its done via fake emails pretending to be from paypal.

They tend to use anonymous or hijacked email addresses and work out of internet cafes somewhere internationally.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @eric_0928,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to hear that you received these types of emails. You can always forward spoof emails to spoof@paypal.com. We do have people reviewing the types of forwarded mail that we received and we do often get fraudsters taken down. As @kernowlass mentioned, it's not possible to prevent it entirely, but we're fighting the good fight!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.