Phishing email - or not?

Mr-Q
Contributor
Contributor

Got the below in an email that addressed me by my first and last name correctly. Links all seem legit, with the epl DOT paypal-communication DOT com links in there also. But when I log into my PayPal account there are no notifications. Sending to to Paypal's phishing email address just gets the robo reply of things to look for, not anyone actually reviewing the email attachment as I'd like and letting me know if it's real or fake.

Here's the email text:

Hi "MY FIRST AND LAST NAMES",

Due to safety and security requirements, and for the benefit of all users on the network, we need you to verify your identity. This will help to avoid any interruption or limitation on your PayPal account.

Simply click here to log into your PayPal account and click on the notification icon. You’ll be asked to confirm some basic details and it should only take a few minutes.

Once you’re done, you can continue using your PayPal account.

Thank you for shopping with PayPal.

Can anyone confirm if it's real/fake? I believe the epl DOT paypal-communication DOT com address is valid, but again I'm not sure.

Appreciate any help!  

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Mr-Q
Contributor
Contributor

Finally got it sorted. It actually *is* a valid email. Seems PayPal have changed from their normal stance of "we never send you links in email". Bit awkward but there you go.

Plus  epl DOT paypal-communication DOT com is a valid Paypal email/domain they use. 

Must be an internal issue where they didn't have a notification for this type of account update.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mr-Q 

Paypal generally do not ask you to log in and enter sensitive account information via a link in an email.

Ignore the email and log into your account NORMALLY and then click the bell / notification icon, nothing there = its a spoof.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Mr-Q
Contributor
Contributor

Finally got it sorted. It actually *is* a valid email. Seems PayPal have changed from their normal stance of "we never send you links in email". Bit awkward but there you go.

Plus  epl DOT paypal-communication DOT com is a valid Paypal email/domain they use. 

Must be an internal issue where they didn't have a notification for this type of account update.

Login to Me Too

Mr-Q
Contributor
Contributor

And - I just found the 'notification' on the PayPal site 👌   It was off screen in the normal PayPal Summary page below activity. That's why no bell notification icon.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.