Pending payment

Angelinamh
Contributor
Contributor
I've sold something on eBay and the buyer has sent the money to my PayPal account. I have never used PayPal before and since it is an overseas person I don't want to get hustled so just to be sure.. Do I wait for the money to clear into my account fully or do I need to send the item first for the money to clear?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Angelinamh 

Sounds like this, not totally sure though so you best read and see if it applies to you.

Possible scam.

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.
They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

If its not that then check this....................

Go to ebay and click on 'sell' put in anything (as you aren't going to actually list anything) until you get to the main page > scroll down near the bottom and where it says payment methods check the email address that is on that page, is there a spelling mistake or old one?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Angelinamh 

Are the funds SHOWING in your paypal account balance but pending?

If so then it sounds like the new seller hold but if the buyer checked out using Ebay checkout then it would be Ebay and not Paypals hold policy.

So your best bet is to go to your local Ebay site to read up on it.

However if the funds are NOT showing in your paypal balance OR its an echeque with a clearance date then no don't ship yet.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Angelinamh
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for that! No balance in PayPal, just received a few of those "we need the tracking number to release the money" type emails. It was checked out on eBay tho and the buyer address in America has cleared also according to another email.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Angelinamh 

Sounds like this, not totally sure though so you best read and see if it applies to you.

Possible scam.

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.
They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

If its not that then check this....................

Go to ebay and click on 'sell' put in anything (as you aren't going to actually list anything) until you get to the main page > scroll down near the bottom and where it says payment methods check the email address that is on that page, is there a spelling mistake or old one?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Angelinamh
Contributor
Contributor
I wasn't able to find an email you suggested at the bottom of the page. But I have sent an email with screenshots of the emails saying the money is in my account to PayPal asking them to investigate if it is fraud. Thanks so much for all the help!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.