Paypal will not change my name (Marriage) despite marriage certificate etc

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

This is utterly ridiculous....After several unsuccessful attempts online to get my name changed by sending all the required documentation I called customer services to sort it out. I explained that I did not have a drivers licence and my passport was not due for renewel until 2022 however I supplied a copy of my marriage certificate and a letter from the Electoral Register with my name change and address.   

After waiting forever for the customer service operator to get advice from the 'Compliance' team he came back with a 'no' and the frankly ridiculous response that Paypal needed 'photo evidence' due to financial regulations.  That is not true, because every other Bank, Credit and financial institution have accepted my marriage certificate and not one Institution has asked for photo evidence. I am now left with a Paypal account in my old name and because of this intransigence I have today had to cancel my Paypal Credit because I am trying to sort out a mortgage and it can't go through until my name has changed on my credit facilities.  This was another 30 mins in a frustrating automated call loop.

Explain please Paypal... and get your Compliance team acquainted with real financial regulations, not made up rules.  Oh, and don't ask me to Facebook or Tweet anyone.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
PayPal is not a bank. They are a standard company, and they have rules and regulations to protect themselves and others. They're asking you for specific documentation, and you're coming up with excuses as to why you can't provide it, but saying "here take this instead". That's not how it works. In fact, that's exactly what fraudsters try to do. If you can't provide what they're asking for, that's a red flag.

I'm not saying you're a fraudster. I understand that you're in a frustrating situation and it seems like it would be such an easy thing for them, but their policies have put in place over years of dealing with similar circumstances, and they've made the decisions they've made based on passed experiences. Obviously, they want you to use their platform, but they can't break their own policies and procedures in order to make that happen.

Why don't you have a driver license? That alone is a little bit of a red flag for somebody to say. If you simply don't drive and don't need one, then go get a non-driver license. Also, just because your passport isn't due for renewal doesn't mean you can't go early and get it replaced with your updated info.

Seriously, think about it. If you were managing billions of dollars, you'd want to know who you're dealing with, right? If a person said "oh I don't have this ID, and I don't have that ID, but here just take this and accept it no questions asked!" How would you react? Put yourself in their perspective.

Again, I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but there are solutions to the problem.
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Wow, just wow.  I was hoping for help and resolution from the community and I got called a fraudster.  Amazing.  Not sure how you think your abuse is helping anyone.  I will be closing down my Paypal account.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Actually, I said I am not calling you a fraudster. I'm sorry if you are offended by my response, but closing your PayPal account isn't the answer here.

Is there some particular reason you cant' go get a state ID? That would give you the photo ID you are needing to get this resolved here.

Maybe you're still waiting on other documentation to be updated before you're able to get a state ID with the new name..?? If so, doesn't that just come with the territory with changing your name? Not trying to be sarcastic, really just trying to consider expectations when dealing with a name change.

Again, I'm sorry if you felt abused by my response. I was just pointing out that they can't bend the rules for legitimate people because it just makes it that much harder to weed out the illegitimate people.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
I'm live in the UK and do not have state ID. I also have no reason to own a car and drive so do not have a driver's licence. Passports are nearly £100 to renew. Paypal state elsewhere that a marriage certificate or government documentation is sufficient, hence me wanting to get this issue resolved here as a last resort. Your answer was not helpful. By the way, PayPal do have a banking license.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User

You are really rude to someone giving up their time to 'try' and help you aren't you??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
@Anonymous_User, If you're going to just walk around without any ID at all that matches your new name, I think you're going to have more problems than just PayPal.

The passport may be expensive to renew, but if that's your only ID then, again, doesn't that come with the territory when changing your name? You're going to need to do it anyway. Or maybe there's a way to do a "replace lost passport" thing that is cheaper and would allow you to make the change, but simply carry out the remainder of your current time with it..??

If not, you might just have to bite the bullet and pay for the renewal. Consider it part of the wedding expense. (Congratulations, by the way!)

That's about all the feedback I can offer here, other than to finish by once again saying that I do not think PayPal is your problem here. It would be a shame to boycott a perfectly good product that can save you time and money because of something like this.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I am looking for resolution not reprimand. Thank you for your time, but it's not at all helpful. I have never had any problems without photo ID in the UK and changing my name with the tax office, banks, doctors etc has been very straightforward. Sadly, Paypal staff  do not seem to understand their own rules and the problem clearly lies with poorly informed staff and community volunteers. It clearly states...

Please provide the following documents:

• A valid photo ID showing either your new or old name, i.e., driving licence, passport or other state or government issued photo ID that also includes your date of birth.
  • A copy of a legal document showing your name change (e.g., marriage certificate-licence, divorce decree, deed poll).

I have supplied my passport (with old name), my marriage certificate and a government letter with my new name and address as requested so the problem clearly lies with Paypal.  Besides, I didn't supply photo ID when I opened my Paypal account in 2003 so why do they need it now?  It is not like they can verify my identity with it!

I have written a formal complaint as a last resort and if it is not resolved I shall close my Paypal account. There are more paying alternatives these days anyway.

Login to Me Too

rassoire
New Community Member

Your response has been patronising and sexist to the point that I made an account to respond. 

Policies created by people who might have operated on gender discrimination principles should be changed when thousands of women (and not men) have to suffer extra costs, time and frustration, and I am surprised that your UNHELPFUL responses haven't been removed. Let me use an analogy: you'd not call helpful a person who says that supermarket policy of not selling tampons just because the board of directors is not having one is helpful instead of sharing the agreement that policy should be changed and that currently there is no satisfying resolution, instead of saying "i am sorry but". 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.