Paypal is illegally overdrafting my bank account

temp20200130a
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, the customer service wait is at least 30 minutes and they are very unhelpful.

Here's my situation:  Someone accidentally paid my account money, but that money came through as less than what they paid after fees.  I tried to refund their money, but Paypal, instead, took their payment out of my bank account.  e.g: Someone pays you $200, shows up as $190, you try to refund $200, but balance is insufficient, so Paypal charges your BANK ACCOUNT!

Tomorrow, my bank account is going to be overdrafted after trying to pay back this idiotic refund for a payment I did not request or accept.  All the customer service reps can say is 'dispute this payment at the bank.'

I had no idea I was at risk just for simply having an account with Paypal.  Will be permanently deleting my account as soon as this is resolved.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@temp20200130a 

You don't get the fee refunded when you issue a refund so if you try and refund and do not have the FULL AMOUNT in your paypal balance then it will come from your bank.

If your bank allow the payment to go through and you get overdrawn then thats between your bank and you as all paypal did was issue the refund as per your request. You didn't have enough in your balance so of course they took it from your bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

temp20200130a
Contributor
Contributor
why would I be charged a fee to not accept money? Have you ever, and I'm being serious, heard of being charged a fee for not accepting money? How is this between me and my bank when PayPal is taking money from me and giving me nothing in return? I did not accept or request this payment!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.