Paypal email saying they changed my password?

christydmccart
Contributor
Contributor

I opened my work email account this morning (NOT paypal related) and had an email with my name in it that said PayPal had changed my password for me. It gave some reasons about how names and passwords had been found online and even though my account didn't appear to have a problem they changed the password anyway. It told me to attempt to login and then select trouble logging in and follow the steps to reset password. 

I did NOT click on the link, I went on paypal from my phone app, from the web browser on my phone, and then from my computer at work- NONE of these places had any issues signing in with the normal password I was using. And to add more to the craziness, the work email that I got the email at, it is not linked to my PayPal!

Has anyone else gotten these strange emails? I'm assuming I did the right thing thinking it was a scam. I wanted to report it to PayPal, but I couldn't figure out how.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@christydmccart

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

christydmccart
Contributor
Contributor
My full name was on the email and that's one of the things that i thought was strange. It looked very legit throughout the email, it was just the fact that they assigned me a temporary password without asking, and sent to a totally different email address than i normally use for PP.
Login to Me Too

zenny216
New Community Member

The email had my email address and my full name. The URL looked legitimate. I couldn't tell if it was a spoof or not.

Login to Me Too

Solomio1
New Community Member

Same here. Email looks legit.  Says PP changed by email because I havent logged in for a while which is not true is the only reason I didnt click on it.
How to report ?

Login to Me Too

ZillaGod
Contributor
Contributor

I had a user get this over the weekend at her work account. It does look legit in every way. It starts with Dear <full name>, the logo is correct, the links are correct. Everything is correct. Could you please give a real answer or maybe someone from PayPal weigh in? Just saying "if it is"...yeah, we all know what not to do "if it is"...we're asking you "if it is" legit or not, not what to do if it's not...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ZillaGod 

Then click on the link I provided in my post above which tells you EXACTLY WHAT TO DO if you took the time to bother to read it instead of stating I hadn't given you a real answer !!!

However if its not a real enough answer for you then provide one yourself for everyone instead of having a go at those that 'try' to help.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ZillaGod
Contributor
Contributor

It must be real based on your links. It’s in every way a legit looking email from PayPal. What’s interesting is, my user that received it doesn’t even have a paypal account and especially wouldn’t use her state government email account if she did... so it must be fake... thanks for clearing that up!

Login to Me Too

diggarooshooter
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same thing to my work email, full name headed and looks all legit, the only question I had is the email address: <removed> I thought it was always '.com'

Login to Me Too

Dell2015
New Community Member
I had same thing yesterday and it also took money from account for a password software package.. I raised a case with PayPal to say it wasn't authorised and to revert and they said it was and closed my case... I don't know what it is or where it came from.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.