Paypal denied my claim to get a refund from an active subscription I didn't know about

avillax
Contributor
Contributor

So it goes like this: I subscribed myself to flowkey to learn to play piano. They had many packages, the "cheapest" one was to pay for 3 months for almost $40. I subscribed to that one. I've been using internet all of my life and I made sure I was subscribing for 3 months.

Well, it so happens that the clever guys at flowkey put me on an active subscription, meaning I was going to be charged $40 every 3 months. Of course, I didn't know about this and didn't even imagine it. This is way I never noticed the first recurring payment, then the second one came a few days ago and I immediately notified paypal and made a claim for a refund thinking my argument was right and I asked them to refund me also for the last payments. After about 5 days they replied that they came to the conclusion that they were not going to refund me since I "Agreed" with the seller about this subscription. I have no idea where I "Agreed" with it. 

Not only that, but this is the firsts time I discover that paypal has an "active subscriptions" page where I immediately cancelled this active subscription. Paypal never notified me about an active subscription or anything and that page was hard to find, they keep changing the site, first time I find about it.

What can I do? I think this is totally unfair. I used flowkey for 1 month for Christ sake!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@avillax

Its between you and the firm you bought from really.

If there was an active subscription on your Paypal account then you are asking Paypal to pay that amount when due.

Paypal don't check every subscription on every Paypal account in the world everytime a payment is due to make sure you approve it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

avillax
Contributor
Contributor

More than being an agreement between me and such company everyone knows it is common practice on the internet to have these small letter traps to rip people off. Paypal sends me messages all the time about payments sent or received, why not send messages about active subscriptions? 

Why is the active subscriptions page almost hidden? Right know I wouldn't know how to find it, I would have to look on this forum.

Worse yet, I contacted flowkey and they agreed to a partial refund (they refunded 1 of the last two charges I was claiming), so even they "protect" me more than paypal itself. This has happened before when paying with my credit card and they refunded all the automatic renewals. This means paypal cares more about taking your money since it is better business for them, thus they can forget about my loyalty.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.