Paypal charge

Kegs66
New Community Member

A friend paid me the $400 he owed me but Paypal charged me almost $12. Is there any way to a) get the charge refunded and b) not be charged in the future?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Sounds like you were charged the standard transaction processing fee (2.9% + $.30 or $11.90) most likely because your friend used the Send Money feature and choose "Goods and Services" as the reason.   The PayPal system understands that Goods and Services is for a sale - in other words, the system assumes you sold something and thus a fee would apply to the sale.   There's really no way to reverse the transaction other than to refund the money back to your friend and ask your friend to send the money again this time selecting "Friends and Family".   As for the charges, I believe you will get the fee back minus the $.30.  Note, refunds are not instant so it may take up to a week for the money to be returned to your friend.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Sounds like you were charged the standard transaction processing fee (2.9% + $.30 or $11.90) most likely because your friend used the Send Money feature and choose "Goods and Services" as the reason.   The PayPal system understands that Goods and Services is for a sale - in other words, the system assumes you sold something and thus a fee would apply to the sale.   There's really no way to reverse the transaction other than to refund the money back to your friend and ask your friend to send the money again this time selecting "Friends and Family".   As for the charges, I believe you will get the fee back minus the $.30.  Note, refunds are not instant so it may take up to a week for the money to be returned to your friend.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.