Paypal asking me to buy $100 itunes gift card to recieve payment

Rein92
New Community Member

I have been asked by paypal to buy a $100 iTunes gift card before I can receive my payment that has been sent to me. They said they will accredit my account the $100 buy why would I need to buy a ITunes card?

Login to Me Too
40 REPLIES 40

Sunworshiper
Contributor
Contributor
Because I dialed the 1-800 PayPal number. It could have very well been a PayPal customer service agent. He was able to identify some information.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sunworshiper 

It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a scammer has posted a thread in this forum.
Most times these threads get reported and removed but some slip through.
The scammers post genuine advice but the phone number is in the title or post often in a strange format to get around paypals security.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.
The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy google vouchers or itunes cards to answer your question or issue you a refund etc?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bethie410
New Community Member
This lady just told me to buy a Google Play card for $50 before I can access my payment. I asked why she couldn't send it straight up to my PayPal, and she said I would need a Google Play card, because she's sending the money from her business bank account, through Cashapp, to my PayPal. This is a scam, right?
Login to Me Too

Beau_Ivory
Yeah I got one very similar, was a giveaway on Instagram that I won and when she started talking to me in dms she sent me this photo of her transaction to my paypal, and it had some sketchy official check, but she told me it had been sent and now I just needed to go to the nearest store and buy a $100 amazon voucher and send her a picture of the card and the receipt and then the transaction will come through, can someone confirm this is fake?
Login to Me Too

Nrusda
Hi. I have encountered this too. How do i get this solved?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nrusda 

Read my post above.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Autumn2019
New Community Member

This was so helpful omg thanks!

Login to Me Too

mxwonggxd

so is there absolutely no way to get our money back if you have already fallen into the trap?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mxwonggxd 

Sadly not as you were responding to FAKE emails sadly.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MidoTKR
Contributor
Contributor

My friend have just been scammed by sending $50 steam card to customer, and scammer wants more $50 steam card, what should we do to get the money back?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.