Paypal asking me to buy $100 itunes gift card to recieve payment

Rein92
New Community Member

I have been asked by paypal to buy a $100 iTunes gift card before I can receive my payment that has been sent to me. They said they will accredit my account the $100 buy why would I need to buy a ITunes card?

Login to Me Too
40 REPLIES 40

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KIRVIA 

You have been scammed.

That was not paypal that you called it was a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.

I guess you got that number either via google OR a scammer posting a thread in this forum.

Most times the threads get reported and removed but some slip through.

You can tell them because they post genuine advice but the phone number in a strange format to get around paypals security.

That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.

The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to hit the 'call us' option to phone them by logging in and getting a code.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BensonHunt
Contributor
Contributor

I fell for the phishing scam today with the request for photo ID and selfies. It's a very sly scam that showed almost no hallmarks of being one, and me being duped by someone claiming to want to buy my second-hand product over the asking price. I'm now $350 poorer after sending that amount in flexepin credit. I feel so stupid for not seeing how rediculous the steps I had to take in order to sell something. I'm absolutely raging at the scammers for being so crafty.

Login to Me Too

Javier12345
Contributor
Contributor
What did you do did anyone help you at all?
Login to Me Too

Jlockhart
New Community Member
Scammer tried to have me send 2 iTunes gift cards worth $100 a piece plus send the item I’m selling. Before I could “receive” payment oh and willing to pay me $50 more for my used item and What is extremely pushy told me to get to the post office now many times at first I said I’m at work I can’t they don’t care I’m glad I’m not an idiot at least this time
Login to Me Too

Edmundvertera
Contributor
Contributor
This is the same happened to be today.. I have a chat mate from colorado usa his name is stephem alex, he old that he will send money for me to have allowance then he asked my paypal account but then he send the invoice that invoice said " to complete the transaction i need to buy an itunes card then for sake of money i bought 1 $25 then ive sent it to him afterward he asking another itunes card, becuase he said that its only 45% to make it 100% i need to get another itunes card, well somethings fishy becuase i tried to send using my paypal there no itunes card that my paypal ask.. So i said i dont have money to get one again.. Please answer this what ahould i do?
Login to Me Too

Ruvalles

i meet the same case! its also a guy from USA send me 2500$ allowance and the paypal email me that i  should buy a apple itunes gift card 100$.

so what about your ending? after seeing your case , im guessing its a defraud...

Login to Me Too

Abelaragon
They told me to buy steam cards so that they can transfer my money into my bank account idk if this is fraud or not. Because money can be sent into steam wallets then into paypal which then goes into bank accounts but idk if that’s true or not so help me please with comments
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Abelaragon 

Its a SCAM.
It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a scammer has posted a thread in this forum.
Most times these threads get reported and removed but some slip through.
The scammers post genuine advice but the phone number is in the title or post often in a strange format to get around paypals security.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.
The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy google vouchers or itunes cards to answer your question or issue you a refund etc?

Or get you to buy steam cards to make a withdrawal  Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Sunworshiper
Contributor
Contributor
I don't know how to start a posts, but when I called PayPal, I was told that someone took out a loan against my PayPal account. And he needed me to hurry and go to a nearest store so he could verify my identity. I thought he needed an employee at the store to check my I.D. and tell him I am me. He told me within a few hours this loan will go through and I will be responsible for the full amount of the loan, that he was just trying to stop the loan from going through. I went to the nearest Dollar General and once I was in the store he told me on the phone I needed to buy a Google gift card for 100.00. I said what if I didn't have 100.00? He told me I would be responsible for the entire amount of the loan. I bought the Google card, and went outside, he said now, you need to scratch the code off the back. I did. He said now, read the code to me, that I was going to be reimbursed. Once I read the code to him, he said, I told you it needed to be 200.00 or maybe he said 150.00, I forgot which. I said I don't have another 100.00. He said I can pay for it with cash, check another credit card, it did not have to be the PayPal card. I said I don't have it. He said well go get another one for 50.00, with anger and impatience in his voice. Of course I did not do it. Realizing this person conned me, I hung up the phone. He was aggressively calling me back. I contacted the police. I contacted PayPal stayed on hold with PayPal, this time, dialing the number in the back of my PayPal card, but on hold with PayPal for like an hour and 30 minutes or so. Call dropped. Called PayPal back, on hold for long time. I called Google, and they took the numbers of the bar code of the Google card. Said he will file complaint for me. But like I never got my money back. I did report to local police. The local police said, please tell me you didn't do it. Since then, I have had "Gene Simmons" of KISS, "Steve Perry" of Journey, before them some man that worked on the water, and a couple of others all send me private messages asking me to buy them iTunes gift cards. I somewhat wonder if these are not undercover police, trying to get me to buy gift cards, but trying to make it sound like I did it just because someone asked me. Or because I thought someone was a famous singer. The "Steve Perry" he said he needed me to buy him an ITunes card or he could not finish his new album, Traces. I did try to contact the verified accounts by both famous musicians, which are controlled by a paid staff, but should still be concerned about this and heard nothing. Later, the musician messaged me, told me I needed to do something meaningful with my life, and stop staying home and rollerskating all day because I am not getting any younger. This is the common thing I found in all these people wanting me to buy them gift cards. They want to leave the Instagram direct messaging, contact you somewhere else, they will all ask you where you work, and these key words show up; dear and ask you how you slept last night. When I see those words, a request to buy a gift card is coming.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sunworshiper 

Why on earth would paypal customer services want you to go and buy them itunes vouchers, sorry but how could you possibly believe it was really paypal?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.