cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Scam: Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction

SOLVED
Contributor

Re: Paypal Scam: Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction

They did say personal payments are not eligible up there in the fine print you quoted. However I do agree that it's not made very clear because f+f payments are not labeled as 'personal payments ' anywhere else. I agree with you that there should be a warning or a notice of some sort, even a check box to ensure everyone sees it and knows . It would prevent people from being duped' and save PayPal from having to argue with anyone about whether they'd been made aware of this policy if there was a check box next to every friends and family payment.
New Community Member

Contributor

I was scammed today, and I was thinking since I have a business account that I would be protected no matter what! I was even charged a fee. Who do we contact to initiate a class action lawsuit to either Get refunded from being scammed. I didn't even know what friend and family option even was! I clicked on a paypal.me link and just paid, Just like I do on all of my other paypal invoices i receive. I TRUSTED PAYPAL and feel that I was wronged, and deceived not only by this scammer, but paypal into thinking that i was protected. 

Why is there a friend and family option anyway? Paypal fees are low, I think they should just get rid of it and protect everyone who trusts in the Paypal Name that sends money.

Esteemed Advisor

@Addwire 

If you pay a friends / family paypal.me then just above where you click to pay is a tick box to mark the transaction as 'for goods / services'.

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
New Community Member

i will tell you the problem pay pal dose not want you to use friends and family option for goods if you do you are brakeing there rules so no they wont tell you and never will and shouldnt your stealing from them they make money on goods dip @#$% so they want u to get riped off its funny for stealing from them when they are nice enuff to have a friends and family option for free they dont have to do that

Contributor

Your logic is flawed. The person making the payment is not doing the stealing. It is the person asking for and receiving the payment in this way. The person making the payment does not pay one cent less.

Highlighted
Contributor

I think I will use bank transfer option the amount from my paypall which is FREE, then pay for the goods from my bank useing bac's AGAIN all FREE that's the way to do it there is alway a way round the problem.  Recap I want to buy an item I have the balance in my paypall account just transfer to my registard bank account ( no fee's ), then pay the seller using my debit card (no charges) no extra costs or am I missing somethig no need to use F&F so not going against paypal rules.

Contributor

I have many friends through social media and belong to a group. We sell items to each other and been asked to use the family and friends option.  I don't see any problems in this as a trust is built up over time if paypal allows this and save fee's all the better.

Esteemed Advisor

@2wheelin71

Paypal does not allow it as you are breaking their rules and risk your paypal account being limited.

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
Contributor

Ok lets me say I have used Ebay and Paypal for many years and paid all the fee's in my last business.  But when it come to sell private items where the buyer comes through to me other then Ebay. I like said before joined a group on Facebook selling items only friends can see my posts closed groups why not get paid through Family and friends option aftrer all they are vertual internet friends with like interests.  Would that break Paypal rules??