Paypal Invoice - Am I protected if terms and conditions say "buyer assumes all responsability"?

tropicthunder77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am buying an item that is over $1900 USD. The seller is insisting on sending me a paypal invoice (which I've never used before) instead of me sending them the money via goods and services. In the invoice they have stipulated that the buyer assumes all responsibility if the item is lost in transit/not delivered and that they will not refund, reimburse or accept returns for the item. The item is being sent with full tracking and via express post. However, I'm worried that if something goes wrong and it isn't delivered I will not be covered by paypal's buyer protection, and that i won't get a refund because of what the seller has put in the terms and conditions?

Will I still get a refund if the item were lost/not delivered? Or will my buyer protection be voided because of what the seller has put in the terms and conditions?

I'm just really worried as I have never spent this much money in one transaction before.

Thank you for you help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tropicthunder77 

Paying a PayPal invoice is a good and services payment so you can dispute the transaction if there is a problem.

These are the upcoming PayPal policy updates to the PayPal seller and purchase protection program that goes in effect July 31 2020 so keep them in mind:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en_US

Currently, if you open a dispute for Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) and the seller refuses to work with you stating 'their terms' and you escalate the dispute to a claim PayPal may rule in your favor, see here for what is considered a SNAD claim and PayPal may be require you to return item for a refund. Register your account for return shipping cost reimbursement before opening a dispute!

To file a SNAD claim:

1. Locate and click payment transaction in your PayPal account activity
  2. Click "Report a problem”.  
  3. Click “I received an item that's significantly not as described”.

Request that seller insure the shipment to cover damages in transit.

If you did not receive order at all, do this:

3. Click “I didn't receive an item I purchased”.

Its difficult to predict what PayPal will do but if you are not comfortable with the terms, then don't buy.

Your other recourse is contacting your card issuer if you paid with credit card if PayPal dispute doesn't pan out.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tropicthunder77 

Paying a PayPal invoice is a good and services payment so you can dispute the transaction if there is a problem.

These are the upcoming PayPal policy updates to the PayPal seller and purchase protection program that goes in effect July 31 2020 so keep them in mind:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en_US

Currently, if you open a dispute for Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) and the seller refuses to work with you stating 'their terms' and you escalate the dispute to a claim PayPal may rule in your favor, see here for what is considered a SNAD claim and PayPal may be require you to return item for a refund. Register your account for return shipping cost reimbursement before opening a dispute!

To file a SNAD claim:

3. Click “I received an item that's significantly not as described”.

Request that seller insure the shipment to cover damages in transit.

If you did not receive order at all, do this:

3. Click “I didn't receive an item I purchased”.

Its difficult to predict what PayPal will do but if you are not comfortable with the terms, then don't buy.

Your other recourse is contacting your card issuer if you paid with credit card if PayPal dispute doesn't pan out.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.