cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Fees for Refunds

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: PayPal’s New Refund Policy Sticks It To Sellers With Fees - Is this true?

Buyers are fine with paying with MC/Visa.

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@vferdman 

The whole point of paypal is to keep c.c. and bank account info confidential and to save the buyer keep entering it in every time that they pay.

Also a lot of sellers are not business sellers and so can't accept direct card payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
I do not work for Paypal.
Highlighted
Contributor

I disagree with your observation about confidentiality.  There are a lot of reasons to use PayPal, just as there are reasons to use cc or bank accounts.  If buyers have to pay a premium to use PP, or there are discounts for paying with other methods, lots will take advantage of lower prices.

I think the direction sellers will go is to offer incentives for more reasonable forms of payment.  There are lots of creative ways to do that.  Until now, PP was the most convenient way for me to take payments, especially for international and/or big ticket items.  Now they are giving me incentives to go somewhere else.  That's just business.

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Scratcher 

Fair enough, you have to go with what will work for you really.

I am just pointing out the fact that heck of a lot of buyers use paypal as its convenient and gives them buyer protection.

So not offering it may be cutting off your nose etc etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
I do not work for Paypal.
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes. I just experienced this first hand with a rather large purchase that was cancelled before i shipped. They deposited the amount minus the fees but then withdrew the entire amount to be refunded to the buyer. I lost 168.55 as a result with no sale. I too, will be closing my paypal account. Shocking policy but confirmed that it was not a mistake with their resolution center. *smh*

Highlighted
Contributor

Refund of PayPal Charges

In line with industry practice and according to our updated policy, PayPal will not charge a fee to process refunds, but the fees from the original transaction will not be returned. Isn't this a great change! It must cost one hell of a lot for the nanosecond of computer time to make the refund of the paypal charges. Reference the industry standard but is it a fair policy...I think not. Will be looking for a remedy that does not penalize seller and buyer. Really just a method to increase the bottom line!

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Refund of PayPal Charges

It is really time that anyone that has this happen call paypal. They will see the cost to answer the numerous calls will be huge.

Highlighted
New Community Member

Paypal doesn`t refund fees for refund anymore

Anybody think it`s fair that Paypal doesn`t refund fees for refund anymore  

As a small vendor, we need to provide free shipping, free return, now we need to suffer the fees. 

Contributor

Re: Paypal doesn`t refund fees for refund anymore

@karryzhang wrote:

Anybody think it`s fair that Paypal doesn`t refund fees for refund anymore  

PayPal obviously thinks it's fair. I imagine the conversation might go something like this: 😜

PayPal: We have decided to keep our fees whenever you refund a customer, no matter the motive for the refund.
Seller: But if I refund the customer, as the law obliges me to more often than not, there was no sale and I made no money.
PayPal: That's right. However, unlike you, we are NOT in the business of not making money.
Seller: Let me get this straight. Not only do I not make any money but I have to pay you for the privilege of having lost the sale?
PayPal: Yep! That's about the sum of it. If you don't like it, please don't forget to close the door on your way out...
Seller: And you think that is fair and reasonable?
PayPal: Nope, but what you gonna do? You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs! 🤣

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Paypal doesn`t refund fees for refund anymore

I know...this is crazy.  I also work for a small business and some of my paypal fees can be pretty high.  Especially if I have a customer that has buyers remorse.  I am now responsible for eating the fees?  I don't think so.  Its just not right.