Paypal Fees for Refunds

Hobi1202
Contributor
Contributor

According to the new Paypal user agreement effective May 7th, paypal will no longer credit you back the fees when a customer gets full refund or even cancels an eBay order before the item is shipped.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this financially?  I sell for a business and this is going to throw or net deposits off on a regular basis.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lee_2003 

Paypal no longer refund the fee.

They keep the fee as payment for processing your buyers payment for you and then processing the refund for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
104 REPLIES 104

Annoyedagain
Contributor
Contributor

I read an article which appears to be fake - that Paypal is now keeping all of the fees from sellers when a buyer decides to return an item.  As an Ebay seller, this new policy will absolutely kill sellers in fees.  Ebay gladly XXXXXXX's their sellers by making them accept any return even if the customer lies or ships back a brick, so making money is already practically impossible. 

The article implies that some "genius" at Paypal has made a change (effective may 6th 2019) that will cost the sellers all the original fees (only fixed fees were kept previously)  and discourage sellers from using Paypal.  Of course such a change would only be created by an idiot looking to destroy Paypal, which is not something the management would accept or allow.   They would only do this if they were smoking craXX; I doubt it is true. 

Please tell me this is not so.  Please tell me no such policy is being implemented that would require me to close my account.  If it were true, I would have to be higher than a kite to keep my account open.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Annoyedagain 

Yep, new policy.

Can't see it would make a lot of difference unless you are someone that has to keep refunding unsatified buyers?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Annoyedagain
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@Annoyedagain 

Yep, new policy.

Can't see it would make a lot of difference unless you are someone that has to keep refunding unsatisfied buyers?

Unfortunately there has been a drastic rise in buyers who abuse the ebay guarantee policy.  Most recently a buyer switched out the modules on a $600 watch winder that I sold and put in their defective ones.  I got the "honor" of having to accept that back and smile as I turned around. Ebay supports this because they don't want to offend the buyer and really do not care what the seller thinks.  

So for the little money I make after the cost of the item and the fees on the shipping, yes, the $17.40 does make a world of difference.  Now that the theft is this is more common and acceptable on Ebay, yes, I happen to care when it is for buyers who I know have stole.  Sorry if they are unsatisfied as they steal. Yes there are legitimate returns, and I am okay with them

Login to Me Too

Annoyedagain
Contributor
Contributor

By the way - thanks for confirming the insane policy- nothing against you.  I guess I had more faith in the management. It is time for me to exit stage left and leave Paypal while I still have some money. Better to leave with my money now  then throwing it away.

Login to Me Too

coopster1234
New Community Member

Seriously PayPal? The exact same thing happened to me. Buyer returned their used item after I sent them a new one and I was forced to eat it. Now PayPal is keep the 2.9% transaction fee too? 

I called Ebay and they are working on other options besides PayPal to handle their transactions, but they said its going to be awhile. Hopefully this will end your monopoly on ebay transactions and make it more of a free market for sellers to choose. I was perfectly happy with your service until now, this policy is completely unfair and costs sellers real $$$$ if buyers don't want to keep an item. 

$4.28 billion in gross profits in 2018 doesn't make it sound like you guys needed to do this..... 

Login to Me Too

thimblemunch
New Community Member

Just happened to me for a $500 item.

Undeliverable address completely out of my hands.

PayPal kept all the fees and I am now in the process of getting eBay payments going instead.

I understand if they want to keep the $0.30 but the 2.9% is just greedy.

**bleep** PayPal if they want to keep the fees.

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

So, Paypal new policy makes it legal for them to steal from sellers.  Just recently, I had a buyer give an incomplete address, they emailed me with the correct address.  Of, course they used Paypal, I had to refund the sell, and let the buyer correct the address on Paypal, before I could ship.  I can't tell you how many times in the past I've had to deal with buyer's remorse, or a buyer that breaks an item and returns it, with no contact to me.  I'm sure there are tons of stories out there of buyers sticking it to the seller, now Paypal wants to add their stick in the process.  

Login to Me Too

Swim_Dad
Contributor
Contributor

On a listing I had "Local Pickup Only".  A buyer in California purchased the item immediate payment of $475.  I asked them when they are coming to St. Louis to receive the item.  "oh, I did not see the "Local Pickup Only", please cancel the transaction".  I canceled the purchase and PayPal kept a fee of $14.08.  I did nothing wrong but they still get the fee?????

Login to Me Too

talart
Contributor
Contributor

There are dishonest buyers out there and I am not at all happy with the greedy grab by PayPal to keep their 2.9% fee on refunds. Making the seller pay after a refund, is nothing but a grab for increased profits. I am certain the bean counters have seen how many millions of dollars are repaid and have flagged this as a great way to increase the profits. Pay Pal you are a service provider and becoming no more trust worthy than banks. Inthe future nother provider ill come along an you will lose a lot more that this grab for cash was worth

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.