Paypal Email fake?

dpearson84
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I've been talking to someone on 'what's app' regarding an item I'm selling via Gum tree. We've agreed to use paypal. He says that he has sent the funds to my paypal account and I was advised to send the receipt to PayPal and to him once I received a confirmation email of him sending the money. But the email greets me 'Hello PayPal User' After reading some things on here, paypal emails should greet me by my name, right? I have already sent this to the buyer and paypal as advised by this guy, but I just don't feel right with it. I suppose I haven't lost anything yet as I haven't shipped his item, but I just want to check... This is how the email is written.... Hello PayPal User, It usually takes 1-2 business days for an eCheck payment to clear. Important: PayPal is trying to secure the buyer. Your money is now on Pending and will be visible immediately in your PayPal balance as soon as you send the shipment receipt to us for verification. eCheck details Amount: £200.00 USD Is this normal?? Thanks in advance David

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@dpearson84

It's a scam. 

It's a good idea to always go the site directly to log in and check if you have any notices or transactions in your account.

Here is a PayPal link with details on scams.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/scams-on-craigslist-and-other-classifieds-websites-faq30...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.