Paypal 'Community': because Paypal VALUES us so much, that we must help each other. lol

yippa
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal's website has changed.  It used to clearly ask Are you paying a business...for goods and services...or are you sending money to Friends or Family?

I recently went to send $ to MY SISTER, who has EXACT SAME LAST NAME AS ME.  I already had her email address in my Paypal account history.  So it should have been easy breazy, right?  But, it seems the payment DEFAULTED to BUYER PROTECTION, which apparently in new Paypal parlance means Pay a business for Goods Services.  And then, WAY DOWN on the page...you'd only notice if you were LOOKING for it, is 'do you want to pay someone you trust'?  Apparently now, if you want to pay Friends/Family and ensure they NOT get a 'transaction fee', you MUST CLICK THAT.

How was I to know any of this?

So I contact paypal multiple times to explain what happened...that my SISTER should not have been charged a fee.

And?

I get total RUNAROUND.  No live human with ANY decision making authority for me to speak to.  Submit a dispute.  Send an email.  Wait for our response.  Dispute again.  No, you can't talk to anyone.  Now I've been ON HOLD FOR OVER 20 MINUTES.

Is it any wonder that on the BBB site, Paypal has a customer review rating of ONE STAR OUT OF FIVE?

CUSTOMER 'SERVICE' IS DEAD.  WHICH IS WHY ALL US SUCKERS ARE HERE ON THE 'COMMUNITY' PAGE, WHILE PAYPAL LAUGHS ALL THE WAY TO THEIR OFFSHORE BANKS.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yippa 

They moved the friends/family option as a lot of folks were being scammed by using it to pay for purchases ''thinking'' that they had buyer protection when they didn't.

Not hard to find it if you really want to use that option.

Also easy to see that the receiver will pay a fee as it states this on the buyer/protection option so you know you are paying for goods.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yippa 

They moved the friends/family option as a lot of folks were being scammed by using it to pay for purchases ''thinking'' that they had buyer protection when they didn't.

Not hard to find it if you really want to use that option.

Also easy to see that the receiver will pay a fee as it states this on the buyer/protection option so you know you are paying for goods.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

yippa
Contributor
Contributor

Classic response.  Why would I expect anything else on the 'community' board, located on Paypal's very own platform?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yippa 

your welcome  🤣

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.