Payment vs. Balance

NubianMarin
Contributor
Contributor

Two questions:

1. My sister transferred money to me via Friends & Family, yet It charged her $20. Why?
  2. The amount she transferred does not match the amount in my balance. The difference is $75. Why?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NubianMarin 

Yeah, when sending money with credit or debit card, the sender is charged 2.9% + 30 cents with fee totaling $20.40.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#sending-friends-family

Now on your end, that's a big chunk taken off and this is a friends and family payment, too. Did you have a negative balance that PayPal offset?

If you already accepted the money then the fees won't be returned. Perhaps ask PayPal why that much was deducted before you start over. It could have been some miscalculation.

To contact customer service for assistance:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NubianMarin 

What country is your sender located and what country are you located? Some countries don't have the friends and family option. And if cross-border transfer, foreign exchange and conversion fees apply.

Login to Me Too

NubianMarin
Contributor
Contributor

We are both in California.

Login to Me Too

NubianMarin
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker we are both based in California.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NubianMarin 

I should ask in what country the PayPal accounts are opened in, both are US PayPal accounts for sure? And what is the amount sent and amount received?

If credit card was used to pay you say $450.00, the fee would be around $20 give/take any cash advance fees the card charges.

Then again a goods and services payment could have been sent in error and you charged PayPal fee for receiving money. Does your payment status say "Payment Received"?

Login to Me Too

NubianMarin
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker both accounts were opened in U.S. (California). Her PayPal account is funded by her debit card. She paid me $673 but was charged $20 (making her pay $693). I can see on the Activity page that she paid $673 but my PayPal balance says $598 and the status says "money received". 

I pretty much just want to refund her and start over. Will she get her $20 back if I do this?

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NubianMarin 

Yeah, when sending money with credit or debit card, the sender is charged 2.9% + 30 cents with fee totaling $20.40.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#sending-friends-family

Now on your end, that's a big chunk taken off and this is a friends and family payment, too. Did you have a negative balance that PayPal offset?

If you already accepted the money then the fees won't be returned. Perhaps ask PayPal why that much was deducted before you start over. It could have been some miscalculation.

To contact customer service for assistance:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Login to Me Too

NubianMarin
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker I did not have a negative balance..it was at $0.00. I have not clicked acceptance of the money, it's just sitting there as the current balance. I will contact support. Thank you for all of your help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.