Payment pending email - spam? nothing in account

HeyRaeTCA
Contributor
Contributor

Payment on hold or pending: I recevied an email - went to spam - on a payment pending shipping notification. It has a tracking number, but I can't find any evidence in my paypal account that there is anything on hold. I am talking to a buyer for an item, but am I being scammed? Or will I not see anything pending in my account until I do something? Not sure I want to click on any of the links in the email.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HeyRaeTCA 

MAY BE THIS SCAM READ IT TO CHECK.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HeyRaeTCA 

MAY BE THIS SCAM READ IT TO CHECK.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HeyRaeTCA
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. That's what I finally convinced myself of.  So many flags:  not seeing the money in my account, even if it was on hold.  The email had a reply address of paypalverification @ GMAIL . COM!  and, the "buyer" of my item was on Facebook Marketplace and I could not click through to their Facebook profile, like I could with every single one of my other marketplace buyers.  When I did a search on the name/pic in the facebook ID, I found a profile set up in 2018-2019 (two different people) and nothing was posted at all, just a set up and a photo.  
I'm sharing all of this in case anyone else comes across my thread and has questions.  It really pays to be suspicious with some things!  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.