Payment never received

Nadz11
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email from paypal stating that the buyer has paid the money to me, but my account will only be credited after I send Paypal the waybill number. After sending the waybill number I received an email saying that my account is going to be credited, but it never was. The next day I received an email from Paypal stating that I have to pay R800 to activate my account with Paypal , which is ridiculous!! The buyer has received the item 4 days ago and I still haven't received any money for it and I have tried to contact Paypal many times, but receive no response. What am I supposed to do now??

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nadz11 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other 'reasons' that you must send them a payment to verify your account or custom fees etc.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nadz11 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other 'reasons' that you must send them a payment to verify your account or custom fees etc.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Nadz11
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way I can report this user and still get my money?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nadz11 

Well you can't report him to paypal as none of the transaction would have been done using paypals site and the scammer wouldn't even have a paypal account.

The scam was done using fake paypal emails.

They use anonymous or hijacked email accounts or phones and work from an internet cafe somewhere like Africa !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @Nadz11. Thanks for taking the time to post your concern here on the PayPal Community Forum.

The situation you've described is a very serious concern (as @kernowlass pointed out), and PayPal works hard every day to prevent scams such as the one you described. There is a step all PayPal customers can take when they receive a suspicious or fake email to help PayPal in this area.

You can forward any suspicious or fake email to spoof@paypal.com and that will help PayPal combat spoof, phishing and other fraudulent activity. However, as @kernowlass pointed out, PayPal would not be able to assist you in obtaining any money since none was actually sent through PayPal's System. I'm sorry for any disappointment that may cause.

If you don't have the email(s) that's ok. If you happen to receive other suspicious or fake emails, please don't click on any links and forward them to spoof@paypal.com.

At your convenience, please also take a look at https://www.paypal.com/za/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-from-paypal-and-how-do-i-re... for more information on how to spot fake emails and report suspicious activity to PayPal.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You don’t have to pay to activate your account with PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.