Payment methods

Thabisomhlakwan
Contributor
Contributor
Hi i would like to know if you want to buy items out of site and the seller tells you that he can only accept friends and family payment if i ask why that method where as i could use goods and services he told me that using goods and services makes the payment bieng kept on hold .can i use family and friends payment to a seller that i dont know and will paypal refund me incase i dont get my parcel ,can i file a dispute on that payment?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Thabisomhlakwan,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with this purchase. If the item does not arrive, you have up to 180 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute. Once a dispute is opened, make sure to escalate it to a claim within the 20 day time frame so PayPal can ensure that the item is delivered or a refund is issued.

I hope this is resolved without the need for a dispute, but if you do end up opening a dispute, please make sure that you don't close the dispute until you have received the item and confirmed that it's correct, or have received a refund. If you close the dispute, it can't be reopened.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thabisomhlakwan

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Thabisomhlakwan
Contributor
Contributor

i paid him and i ticked on the box to buyers protection i sent him £380 he then said to me his waiting for the courier to deliver material for a package he sent me the material and he said there is no tracking number since he paid less for a shipping when i said i will have to ask the courier later on he provided me with the tracking number but it not working .how do i go on with this i need help please his not responding to my massages on facebook

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Thabisomhlakwan,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with this purchase. If the item does not arrive, you have up to 180 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute. Once a dispute is opened, make sure to escalate it to a claim within the 20 day time frame so PayPal can ensure that the item is delivered or a refund is issued.

I hope this is resolved without the need for a dispute, but if you do end up opening a dispute, please make sure that you don't close the dispute until you have received the item and confirmed that it's correct, or have received a refund. If you close the dispute, it can't be reopened.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.