Payment doesn't seem right

chrissyyarb
Contributor
Contributor
I feel like this email is a scam can anyone help me to find out if it is real or fraud?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chrissyyarb 

No idea as you haven't said what the email says?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

chrissyyarb
Contributor
Contributor
I'm sorry I thought I would be able to attach the email. Basically she purchased something from me on eBay and now she's wanting me to buy a gift card and she said that the money is in my PayPal account and I don't see it. However I did get an email saying the money was received but it was on hold until I sent verification of the gift card purchase and the items that she was asking for me to add to the gift card? It's hard to explain but it doesn't seem right
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chrissyyarb 

SCAM.

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They may tell you to send them money to 'verify' your account so you can sell either by moneygram / gift tokens or bank transfer.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal never tell you to send money to receive money especially another companies voucher token or transfer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.