Payment (buyer protection) for paying for goods to a private seller

sit1975
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there  - does anyone know if I send money via my paypal account to a private seller for goods I'm wanting to buy via a Gumtree ad, do I have any protection on my money if the seller does not send the item or if its faulty/fake etc?    I don't think reading Paypal policy that I would have any protection and risk is seller keeps my money and never sends the goods.  Welcome any feedback Sid

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sit1975 

As long as you use the goods / services option OR paid via a money request or invoice you would have the same buyer protection.

However that protection is not a 100% coverall so you need to go and read up on it to risk assess your transactions.

Legal bottom right of page > user agreement > purchase protection.

For instance if he sent you an invoice with 'watch' on it and you are paying for a rolex and get a mickey mouse watch then you may lose a dispute for item received but not as described so make sure the item is FULLY described before you send payment or pay an invoice.

Lastly make sure you have activated the below link in case you open and win any disputes and need to send an item back again.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.