Paying deposit via PayPal for vehicle

Matt1970
New Community Member
I am considering buying a vehicle on eBay and the seller wants a deposit at end of auction, and to pay balance in person on collection. What are the risks and do I have any protection ( deposit asked is £1000)
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Matt1970 

You can certainly pay a deposit but no guarantee you'll get it back so disputes involving vehicles are to be done in small claims court. Maybe do an agreement that can be settled in small claims that deposit is refundable and have it scanned and signed by both parties.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/buyer-protection?locale.x=en_GB

4 Conditions for reimbursement

You may be reimbursed under PayPal Buyer Protection for a problem with a purchase only if all of the following requirements are met:

1. Your purchase is an eligible purchase. Purchases of most goods and services are eligible (including travel tickets, intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licences), except for the following transactions:
    1. purchases of real estate (including, without limitation, residential property);
    2. purchases of any interest in a business (including, without limitation, any items or services forming part of a business or corporate acquisition);
    3. purchases of vehicles (including, without limitation, motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats), except for personally portable light vehicles used for recreational purposes like bicycles and wheeled hoverboards;
    4. payments on crowd-funding and/or crowd-lending platforms;
    5. purchases of custom made items (unless they are claimed to be Not Received);
    6. purchases of goods and services prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy;
    7. purchases of industrial machinery used in manufacturing;
    8. purchases of items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards);
    9. purchases of goods and services using Zong, Website Payments Pro or Virtual Terminal;
    10. Personal Transactions;
    11. gambling, gaming and/or any activity involving a chance to win a prize;
    12. payments made in respect of financial products and investments;
    13. payments to state-run bodies (except for state-owned enterprises) or traders acting on mandates received from state-run bodies;
    14. donations;
    15. purchases of items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf (including at a retail point of sale) and which you claim to be Not Received;
    16. payments made in respect of gold (whether in physical form or in exchange-traded form); and
    17. PayPal Mass Payment transactions.

See eBay UK safety about buying cars:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/getting-started-ebay/buying-vehicles-parts-accessories?id=4639

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/buyingwithconfidence/vehicle-tips.html

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.