PayPal's policy change on refunds

vferdman
Contributor
Contributor

So this is getting ridiculous. If I get money via PayPal erroneously and refund I am out 3% for PayPal fees. I am definitely out of here! Just wondering how many people are even aware of that change that is coming on October 11? I am researching ways to do eBay without PayPal. PayPal is going to be dead within a year unless they reverse this idiotic, greedy, unfair practice.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vferdman 

People knew prior to May 7 2019, when the policy was first introduced but due to controversy, wasn't really enforcing it but are enforcing it in full come October. 😞

Just try not to create situations that cause refunds as a seller. If the buyer caused it, deduct the fee from the refund or split fee down the middle for those situations where neither party is at fault..

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

vferdman
Contributor
Contributor

Passing the cost of this ridiculous policy to the customer is not really "industry standard" and NO ONE else is doing this. So I will be leaving PayPal on or around October 11. I encourage everyone else to do the same and let PayPal know that this is not okay.

Login to Me Too

Pluismo
Contributor
Contributor

I will leave both Paypal and eBay! I have been with them from day one!

Login to Me Too

AlbanyDavid
Contributor
Contributor

Just try not to create situations that cause refunds as a seller?

So tell me, how do i prevent someone from making large purchases and then 30 minutes later saying their dog/cat/parrot/kid/pocket ordered the item when they demand to have it canceled?

How do i prevent a scammer from buying something from me on eBay and trying to get me to ship to another address or opening a phony claim or doing something else that makes canceling the order necessary? 

If i made a mistake then I don't have any problem with paying the cost, however with the number of people who purchase on eBay and then want to cancel because they have buyer's remorse or found a better deal, this is not an acceptable policy.

If they go forward with this, they will no longer be part of my business model, and I suspect that 90% of other eBay sellers will be of the same mind. There will be no going back on this, reversing the policy a month down the road will not matter to me, the trust and relationship we have will be ruined beyond repair if this happens on October 11th.

Login to Me Too

Pluismo
Contributor
Contributor
How many times have we sold an item on eBay and just for fun of it, the buyer decided to return the item. Last month, I sold a Yamaha XF8 synthesizer for $2,300.00, the buyer came up with some lame excuses and ask for a refund. eBay made me pay $85.00 for the return label because the item is very heavy. Now next month Paypal will chage me 3%. That's insane!
Login to Me Too

AlbanyDavid
Contributor
Contributor

That is exactly why they want this new policy in place. They know that happens all the time and they want to have our money without doing anything to earn it. It's the finest example of a cash grab.

Login to Me Too

Konachan
New Community Member

I guess it is the only way they can make more money, squeeze the small vendors. They hook you with their service and then start adding fees.   I see they are bent on making more with Business loans, adding fees, cutting refunds on fees, etc.  

I wonder what Square, Quicken, and my CC Merchant account handles refunds?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.