PayPal refund fees

Brothershenn
New Community Member
I just talked to PayPal telephone rep. He said that a seller can refund a buyer oFF Ebay sale and there is no processing fee. That is in contradiction to PayPal own internal policy as of may 9 2019 which states processing fees will not be refunded. In other words seller will have to eat the cost of refunds . This is unfair. For example if I sold a toy on Ebay for 100 dollars and my net balance is 97 dollars. Suddenly the buyer said that she did not want it and ask me to refund her money from PayPal and I approved, I can refund her 100 dollars back but PayPal still deducts $3 from my checking account. The PayPal rep said NO , PayPal will not keep their $3. This is in contradiction to the PayPal policy online as of may 9. Apparently the rep is not even up to date about their own company's policy. Anybody else ????
Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

nickfowler9

Agreed.  I am closing my business account today.

Login to Me Too

iitsupport

Lets takes this matter to legally and lodge official complain to ACCC about unfair charges from PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

nickfowler9

Totally agreed and I will be closing my business account with them today as a result of this disgusting highway robbery!  We are entering a global depression where literally every cent counts.

Login to Me Too

thelewii
Contributor
Contributor
Follow up on this thread. I switched our ecommerce merchant processing to square. Better rate and I get the refund fee again. It was a tricky developer integration but we were motivated.
Login to Me Too

bdeyring
Contributor
Contributor

You did this in conjunction with eBay, or a different platform?  Would love to hear more.

Login to Me Too

thelewii
Contributor
Contributor

Our base platform is Magento (open source version).   We used a square extension but had to customize through their app dev platform to enable for multi-store functionality.   

Login to Me Too

glenns2008
Contributor
Contributor

It is beyond unfair, especially when it doesn't involve an issue with the item or a return.  I just had it happen for the first time because I hadn't yet issued a refund until it went into effect and didn't even know about it until now.  In this case the buyer requested a cancellation literally one hour after the purchase.  How on earth can they justify penalizing the seller for that?  It makes much more sense for the buyer to suffer that loss.

I wished I had come here and looked at this before submitting the refund, but the suggestion of deducting it from the refund is a good and justifiable one that I just didn't think of.

Login to Me Too

youradds
Contributor
Contributor

This is absolute BS! We just had it for an order someone cancelled (literally 5 minutes after purchasing!). Then put in a cancellation request right away on ebay, and we obliged and refunded. I then went to reconcile my account this morning to find out I'm £5.35 out. After spending hours trying to track it down, I finally found that PAYPAL hadn't refunded the fee! I'm used to having the £0.30p transaction fee not refunded, but it's a **bleep**ing joke you think you are allowed to keep the full fee!!!!

We will be removing you from our online store, card payment system, and ASAP on eBay when they bring out the new payment method. PayPal has totally shot themselves in the foot with this one. Goodbye, and good riddance

Login to Me Too

michele-m
Contributor
Contributor

I just found out about it myself after buyer cancelled cos shipping to HI was too expensive and now I'm out more than $12.00. Really an unfair rip-off when you think about all the money they have made from our sales.

Login to Me Too

aapkb2
Contributor
Contributor

ebay managed payments DO NOT refund processing fees also ! so its ebay and paypal on the same ripping off boat.

You guys are complaining about 10usd refunds fees... I just got a 120$ bill from a canceled transaction by buyer (he bought by mistake) of 2.011 usd. Eat that.

Ill state on ebay ads the i will not refund fees if buyer decides to cancell transaction, its rdiculous but its ebay and paypal making people

more miserable every day even more

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.