PayPal references on a bank statement?

SamiB1977
Contributor
Contributor

My son has several random deposits in his current account which he claims are made by his friends who have transferred money from their PayPal accounts to his current account.  He says that his friends have sold things on eBay and had the money into their PayPal account but as they do not have a bank account, they have transferred the funds to his account and he withdraws the cash for them.  I'm a little sceptical.  With my PayPal account, when I transfer funds to my bank account, the bank statement reads 'Paypal' and there is an alpha numerical reference of 18 digits.  On my sons statement, it reads as names, not PayPal suggesting the deposits do not come from PayPal - however, there is a similarly formatted reference of 18 alpha numerical digits as per my own statement.  Question is, are these payments from PayPal accounts or not?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamiB1977 

I would tell him to be very careful, i hope they are real friends and not 'internet friends'.

Only if the original buyer that paid raised a dispute or chargeback then it would his paypal account that would be affected and he would have to pay the money back if they sent it to his paypal account to withdraw.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SamiB1977
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that advice, but I don't think the funds that were deposited into his current account have been anywhere near his PayPal account, it looks as though someone else's PayPal account has exported the funds directly to his current account instead of going firstly into his PayPal account.  His own PayPal deposits are showing in his account as 'PayPal' followed by his own name.  These deposits have other people's names on and absolutely no mention of PayPal at all.  The only reason I think they could possibly be PayPal deposits (apart from him saying they are) is the 18 digit alpha numerical reference no. that is similar to other reference numbers on other (legitimate) PayPal deposits.  Am confused and cannot get to the truth, I think we may have to go to the bank to ask questions...  I can't seem to get through to PayPal on the phone for love nor money, is there any other way I can contact them to try and get some clarity does anyone know?  Live chat or message service?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.