'PayPal' asking to purchase a gift card before receiving full payment. Is it a scam?

isabello21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've received an email saying they are from Paypal but the email says '[removed] they also said I need to purchase a gift card first before receiving the full amount into my PayPal account and to take a photo of the gift card and send to [removed].. Is this really PayPal or is it a scam?

I am in the middle of trying to sell my couch. I have given them my email, my PayMe link and also requested the payment to her email but my balance is still $0.00. 

She said you should have received an email from Paypal, check your spam. The email from 'PayPal' was in my spam. 

In it it says: 

"This PayPal payment has been approved but temporarily on hold and it won't reflect in your account because we had to placed this transaction on AN ESCROW ACCOUNT AGREEMENT whenever handling THIRD PARTY PAYMENTS in order to ensure both buyers and sellers protection from online fraudulent activities." 

and 

"Details needed: Scratch and send the picture of the STEAM wallet gift card,Your name,Pick up date and time,Pick up address,Item description and Contact number

You have to email us the full details to our customer care line which is [removed] , so we could complete the transaction and get your account credited with the total amount of ($550.00 AUD)"    I think it is a scam, but can someone confirm with me?  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@isabello21 

Yes SCAM, Paypal never tells you to send any sort of gift card to do anything account related.

They don't want your couch they just want any courier (that doesn't exist) fee or scratch card.

0 in balance = you have not been paid and will not be.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.