PayPal Fees - GBP sent to me in the UK from China

Ju1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm trying to find out how PayPal fees are calculated. In particular, I receive payment in GBP from someone in China and I've noticed that the fees are quite high at about 5%. I've looked through some pages on Legal, without luck. Where can I find out how this is calculated?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ju1

FEES are in Paypals user agreement.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ju1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying to my question, but I've looked through the User Agreement, and I can't find the fees. I've even looked at the Business Fees too, and they don't apply. They only talk about currency movements between the US, Canada and other parts of the world. Not China to the UK. So, can anyone tell me why I paid about 5% fees on a payment of GBP into my UK PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ju1

5% sounds about right for the fee + cross border fee + currency conversion fee.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/cross-border-and-conversion-fees

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ju1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the link. I don't understand about the currency conversion because I receive GBP, so in my mind, it should be 2% + 0.20 GBP. I don't receive another currency and change it to GBP, unless the sender is charging the currency conversion to me. Is that possible?

Login to Me Too

Ju1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, just thought of another question. Would it be better for me if the sender (in China) sends me US Dollars instead of GBP? Your advice will be gratefully received.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.